Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: NickJB on January 19, 2012, 07:58:50 pm

Title: creating new catalog from group of images (clouds for compositing)
Post by: NickJB on January 19, 2012, 07:58:50 pm
Pretty much as subject line says.
LR 3.6, Mac, I've got a bunch of cloud photo's and folders for compositing scattered through my main Catalog.
What's the best workflow to create a new Catalog for these and then Import cloud files from my Main Catalog to the new Cloud Catalog, or to select and make a Cloud Catalog from them?
Pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks!
 
Title: Re: creating new catalog from group of images (clouds for compositing)
Post by: NickJB on January 19, 2012, 08:09:07 pm
Just searched through forum deeper (my first search didn't give any good answers) and Andrew and John had a better idea, Collections. I'll do that - just wish I was better at adding Metadata after a shoot........ : }
Title: Re: creating new catalog from group of images (clouds for compositing)
Post by: wolfnowl on January 20, 2012, 01:58:07 am
Looks like you've answered your own question, but yes. Put all of the images you want into a Collection, and then export that Collection as a catalog.  As to keywording, well, as the old Speedy Muffler commercials used to say, "You can pay me now or pay me later."

Mike.
Title: Re: creating new catalog from group of images (clouds for compositing)
Post by: john beardsworth on January 20, 2012, 03:47:03 am
Just don't create a separate catalogue unless you really need to send it to someone, or move it to another computer. Keywords and collections are the way to go, but within one catalogue.
Title: Re: creating new catalog from group of images (clouds for compositing)
Post by: wolfnowl on January 21, 2012, 02:56:42 am
I agree! I was just answering the question... :)

Mike.
Title: Re: creating new catalog from group of images (clouds for compositing)
Post by: JRSmit on January 21, 2012, 03:36:09 am
Just don't create a separate catalogue unless you really need to send it to someone, or move it to another computer. Keywords and collections are the way to go, but within one catalogue.
I concur with John. Still, if you need to put it into another catalog, for whatever reason, make the selection and export the selection as a catalog.
Title: Re: creating new catalog from group of images (clouds for compositing)
Post by: john beardsworth on January 21, 2012, 04:24:21 am
We all agree. With this question I always feel it's best to hand the guy the loaded gun but make sure he knows it's not a toy. There are legitimate reasons to maintain separate permanent catalogues (eg a friend takes pictures that her kids shouldn't see) or for shorter term workflows like taking a selection to show someone, but categorisation of images isn't one of them. A seascape with a cloud may fit into a clouds catalogue, or into the one for seascapes, or into weather. I know the sermon quickly becomes boring though!