Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: mjrichardson on January 18, 2012, 01:20:35 pm

Title: Progress
Post by: mjrichardson on January 18, 2012, 01:20:35 pm
Hello all.

It's been a few years since I posted images for critique, I have little chance these days to grab the camera for recreation, I hope it's ok to offer these few images for comment and criticism.

I have named this series Progress, I think because there is a view that Iraq and Basra specifically is moving forward, developing in some way and I'm not sure I see it, working as I have here for the last 8 months.

These were all taken through the bullet-proof glass of my armoured transport, unfortunately to travel anywhere requires 3 such vehicles and a team of armed guards.

Anyway, I hope they pique some interest and comment, positive or negative.


(http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab304/mjrphotography/Iraq/Basra1of8.jpg)

(http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab304/mjrphotography/Iraq/Basra3of8.jpg)

(http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab304/mjrphotography/Iraq/Basra4of8.jpg)

(http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab304/mjrphotography/Iraq/Basra2of8.jpg)

Thanks for looking.

Mat
Title: Re: Progress
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 18, 2012, 01:35:57 pm
Aside from any political ramifications, I simply love the tonality of your images. It says more to me than anything else.

Thanks for the insight and stay safe.
Title: Re: Progress
Post by: Fips on January 18, 2012, 01:46:26 pm
Hey Mat,

Very nice. Especially the first one. Personally, I can't find anything to criticize. But maybe you can say a word about the colors? I like the muted tone of the sand and sky. Did you do any adjustments there?

Fips
Title: Re: Progress
Post by: popnfresh on January 18, 2012, 02:05:58 pm
Strong, edgy compositions and a gorgeous, subdued, almost monochrome palette. Great work!
Title: Re: Progress
Post by: mjrichardson on January 18, 2012, 02:15:59 pm
Thanks very much for the kind words, I'm glad you like them.

Normally Iraq is blisteringly hot but this time of the year is overcast and can lend an oppressive air, particularly in the oilfields where the air pollution is pretty high. This, coupled with the thickness of the armoured glass, gave a beautiful tone to the images, I've pushed the effect in pp, hoping I hadn't gone too far but it appears they're about right from the responses.

Thanks again for the comments, I really appreciate it!

Mat
Title: Re: Progress
Post by: RSL on January 18, 2012, 02:17:04 pm
I'm with Slobodan on the tonality, Mat. It's wonderful. And, like Flips I wonder whether or not it's the way it came off the camera. Either way, it's very fine.

Well, you posted just as I was writing this, so you answered my question before I got a chance to ask it.
Title: Re: Progress
Post by: Rob C on January 18, 2012, 02:50:50 pm
Shocked and awed!

Rob C
Title: Re: Progress
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 18, 2012, 07:21:13 pm
Stunning and evocative. Thanks for posting them.

Eric
Title: Re: Progress
Post by: ivan muller on January 19, 2012, 03:10:03 pm
Thanks, I like them all and please post some more.....
Title: Re: Progress
Post by: EduPerez on January 26, 2012, 03:04:09 am
I'll adhere to the general consensus here, the tonalities of these pictures add a lot to the message; the composition on the first one (and probably the second one too) is specially appealing to me.