Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on January 18, 2012, 10:38:17 am

Title: Fly me to the moon
Post by: RSL on January 18, 2012, 10:38:17 am
-
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 18, 2012, 11:32:21 am
Russ, we all know too well what you think of cropping, but wouldn't a vertical crop, perhaps even a panoramic vertical crop, make more sense here?

Well seen and captured otherwise.
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: RSL on January 18, 2012, 11:56:09 am
You're right, Slobodan, and when I printed it I gritted my teeth, held a cross in front of the cropping demon, and did that. Here's the result.
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 18, 2012, 01:10:54 pm
Good image, Russ, but you seem to have cropped out the H. of M.  ;)

Eric
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 18, 2012, 01:13:19 pm
You're right, Slobodan, and when I printed it I gritted my teeth, held a cross in front of the cropping demon, and did that. Here's the result.
Hugely improved. Worth the dental damage.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: Rob C on January 18, 2012, 02:57:05 pm
Nope, Russ, I prefer the original cut. There's no sense of space in the tall version.

Gimme a buck and I'll give you back ninety-eight cents.

Rob C
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: armand on January 18, 2012, 04:12:32 pm
Very nice. I think some crop would be beneficial but not as much as you did, more like a square format. This shot remotely reminds me of one that I took last year.
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: Rob C on January 18, 2012, 06:26:21 pm
Russ, you were right all along: cropping usually sucks!

Rob C
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 18, 2012, 07:33:08 pm
Russ, you were right all along: cropping usually sucks!

Rob C
Much as I hate to agree with an ornery old geezer like Rob C, I have to admit that the cr*pped version feels cramped. I'd go back to the original (and get your teeth repaired).

Eric (another ornery old geezer)
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: RSL on January 18, 2012, 07:39:21 pm
Well, the first one is the real one. I was just lucky to get it at all. But as I heard Cartier-Bresson say in an interview late in his life, "It's always luck." I still haven't decided which I like better.
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 18, 2012, 07:42:56 pm
You're right, Slobodan, and when I printed it I gritted my teeth, held a cross in front of the cropping demon, and did that. Here's the result.

Well, given the usual and expected disagreement about cropping, all I can say is that you can at least market this cropped shot for a magazine cover ;)
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: degrub on January 18, 2012, 10:09:32 pm
What about an off center placement of the moon and TVs - keep the vast emptiness on one side and draw the eye ?

Frank
Title: Re: Fly me to the moon
Post by: RSL on January 19, 2012, 08:31:51 am
Well, given the usual and expected disagreement about cropping, all I can say is that you can at least market this cropped shot for a magazine cover ;)

I suppose I could try that, Slobodan, but I see one problem with the picture. It's no fake, though, shades of Ansel Adams and "Moonlight Over Hernandez," in the original file the moon is a lot fainter and the sky less intense than it is in the final version. I had my 70-300mm racked all the way out to 300 and I was tracking one of the two hawks. I just happened to trip the shutter as the birds flew past the moon. But the problem is that with no other clue to its location -- some treetops, for instance -- somebody's going to jump to the conclusion that I made this picture in Photoshop as a composite. It's not an argument I want to fight against. I'd rather spend the time shooting more pictures.