Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: ivan muller on January 18, 2012, 05:33:48 am

Title: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: ivan muller on January 18, 2012, 05:33:48 am
After all the bull, something more serious...any thoughts? ( I discussed the image on my blog but perhaps I need some sane perspective......)


 [img(http://i44.tinypic.com/x6hfo1.jpg)][/img]
Title: Re: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: feethea on January 18, 2012, 05:52:07 am
Ivan,

This is very reminiscent of Ed Ruscha's 1962 work, 'Twenty Six Gasoline Stations'. Could very easily have been incorporated in that famous piece of work.

Barry
Title: Re: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: RSL on January 18, 2012, 09:06:42 am
It also reminds me of any number of classic Friedlanders.
Title: Re: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: popnfresh on January 18, 2012, 11:48:55 am
What the heck is that tall structure to the left of the station?
Title: Re: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 18, 2012, 02:37:20 pm
New Topographics?
Title: Re: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: Rob C on January 18, 2012, 02:48:32 pm
What the heck is that tall structure to the left of the station?


Durex dispenser for bulls?

Rob C
Title: Re: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: ivan muller on January 18, 2012, 03:18:23 pm
Rob, I am impressed you found something to connect all three my images....! 
Title: Re: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: luxborealis on January 18, 2012, 04:18:06 pm
Loved the bulls; this doesn't do anything for me. It causes me to look twice, thrice in fact, but I still think - what am I missing?

Rob C is probably missing a person or two ;)
Title: Re: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 18, 2012, 04:30:50 pm
... this doesn't do anything for me. It causes me to look twice, thrice in fact, but I still think - what am I missing?...

Hate to repeat myself, but what you are maybe missing is New Topographics, a genre of fine-art landscape photography (or "fine-art", if you insist).
Title: Re: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: Rob C on January 18, 2012, 06:24:51 pm
Rob, I am impressed you found something to connect all three my images....! 




But Ivan, that's life: it's all joined up.

Rob C
Title: Re: Gas station, Philippolis
Post by: ivan muller on January 19, 2012, 12:58:42 am

'But Ivan, that's life: it's all joined up.'

...of course, I just marvel at how you did it...... ;)

Slobodan, thanks for the education, had to look up 'new topographics' on wikipedia, and of course its offline at the moment, but I got the first line before it disappeared...Maybe I will start a series on this.....

'loved the bulls; this doesn't do anything for me. It causes me to look twice, thrice in fact, but I still think - what am I missing?'

.....Well its a start as you at leased looked thrice, perhaps that's what drew me to the image was the missing bits...I keep on wondering what it would have looked like if there was a person in the shadows of the motor bay...

thanks, Ivan




Terry