Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: feppe on January 17, 2012, 01:15:02 pm
-
What is it with non-photographic graphic artists not selling prints anymore?
I contacted a graphic artist to try to get a print of one of his images. Haven't heard back from him, and I tried two different ways to contact him. Granted, the image in question is a magazine cover so it might be work for hire and he doesn't hold the copyright. He also has only two prints on his site. Nevertheless, it takes 30 seconds to respond - it's the professional thing to do.
But I contacted another one last year - he sells prints, but the one I wanted is not on his print list. Two different contact methods, never heard back from him, either.
Not really much of a point in this mini-rant, just wondering what one has to do to get a print these days! Are graphic artists getting paid so well they don't have to worry about selling single prints?
-
As you probably already know, most artists are lousy businessmen. It is hard to be business-like and professional when you actually despise it.
-
Very Hard, also very true.
www.peterfiore.com
-
I'll be happy to take your money, Harri, and send you one of my prints (of my own choosing, of course). ;D
Eric
-
I'll be happy to take your money, Harri, and send you one of my prints...
+1 ;D
-
I suppose there could be several reasons for the lack of response - one of which could be he's out of business. There's also the hassle associated with delivery outwith your home town: people try all sorts of things - tubes, flat-packs, God alone knows what else. I have found that to be a problem myself, not that I have that much of it happen; I usually end up using a tube, which is hardly the best way to receive anything. A curled up print looks sort of damaged, right from the start! Then there's payment: unless you sell a lot, I think credit/payment agencies are going to cost more than it really turns out to be worth. Selling to people who know you is best: you can accept a cheque.
Maybe he's not a bad businessman - just enjoys showing his stuff for its own sake. I know someone like that quite well...
Rob C
-
I suppose there could be several reasons for the lack of response - one of which could be he's out of business. There's also the hassle associated with delivery outwith your home town: people try all sorts of things - tubes, flat-packs, God alone knows what else. I have found that to be a problem myself, not that I have that much of it happen; I usually end up using a tube, which is hardly the best way to receive anything. A curled up print looks sort of damaged, right from the start! Then there's payment: unless you sell a lot, I think credit/payment agencies are going to cost more than it really turns out to be worth. Selling to people who know you is best: you can accept a cheque.
Maybe he's not a bad businessman - just enjoys showing his stuff for its own sake. I know someone like that quite well...
Rob C
PayPal!
-
Maybe, but they don't package and deliver! That's the real glitch, the fly in the ointment, the pebble in the shoe, the chaperone in the back-row seat of that cinema... I can't get those back seats out of my mind since they cropped up on that perspective thread; changed my persective on everything. Or perhaps it's just withdrawal symptoms brought on by the death of my PS computer - well, its current holiday in comp hospital from whence I hope it returns in rude health, not that there's anything rude within its soul. I don't really like rude.
Jeez! I've been scribbling this whilst plumbers have been working in the loo fixing/changing parts of the shower system; they have now left and I find I have so much débris lying in the bath that it'll take a while to clean... funny how one problem always creates another; and, with my own head on hair-trigger, I don't need yet a third, within!
Rob C
-
Maybe, but they don't package and deliver! That's the real glitch, the fly in the ointment, the pebble in the shoe, the chaperone in the back-row seat of that cinema... I can't get those back seats out of my mind since they cropped up on that perspective thread; changed my persective on everything. Or perhaps it's just withdrawal symptoms brought on by the death of my PS compouter - well, its current holiday in comp hospital from whence I hope it returns in rude health, not that there's anything rude within its soul. I don't really like rude.
Rob C
C’mon Rob! Photographers are well-known as jacks-of-all-trades!
-
You meant "offs"?
Doesn't help the plumbing much...
Rob C
-
You meant "offs"?
Doesn't help the plumbing much...
Rob C
;D