Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: ivan muller on January 17, 2012, 05:47:09 am

Title: Bull photography.....
Post by: ivan muller on January 17, 2012, 05:47:09 am
Last week I went to a cattle farm about two and a half hours drive from my home, to photograph bulls. They had to be photographed in a very specific way so that the bulls scrotum could be seen....this was a first for me to photograph bulls and their balls..... ;D It was quite difficult too because as soon as we separated them from the rest of the heard they would dash back to their harem....so I had a few moments at most to capture the bull as he stood still for a minute contemplating the best escape route back to the herd....Just for myself I converted the colour images to sepia and via layers brought a bit of colour back....there are some more images of the bulls and the very interesting farm were I photographed them on my blog...


(http://i39.tinypic.com/2eefv2b.jpg)

(http://i40.tinypic.com/11b8aqw.jpg)]
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: francois on January 17, 2012, 11:18:46 am
Ivan,
I'm stunned, those bulls exhale power & bestiality and you managed - perfectly - to put those traits in images… I wouldn't venture around their harem!
Bravo
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Rob C on January 17, 2012, 12:05:11 pm
Ivan,
I'm stunned, those bulls exhale power & bestiality and you managed - perfectly - to put those traits in images… I wouldn't venture around their harem!Bravo




Francois, better the harem than the bull.

Rob C
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 17, 2012, 12:46:55 pm
Last week I went to a cattle farm about two and a half hours drive from my home, to photograph bulls. They had to be photographed in a very specific way so that the bulls scrotum could be seen....
Wonderful shots, particularly the first.

I don't suppose you'd let us in on the reasons for the scrotal visibility requirement, would you?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: luxborealis on January 17, 2012, 07:34:40 pm
Great shots - both. I have a preference for the first, partly because of the pose struck by the bull (nice posing!) and also because of the presentation. If there is one niggly... after having a good look at the bull, I find my eye looking to the horizon and being distracted by the faintly visible poles and lines. To some, the tree may provide a counterpoint, but to me, it is also pulling my eye away from the details I should be looking at (and I don't mean the jewel sack!).
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: louoates on January 17, 2012, 11:56:06 pm
I've never had a request such as yours. But you've made some art of it. I'd prefer none of the distracting elements of wires, power lines, and that thing on the horizon that may be a tree. I'd also like to see the bull faces a bit lighter where it is too shady.
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: francois on January 18, 2012, 03:01:47 am



Francois, better the harem than the bull.

Rob C

Rob,
100% agree with you!
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: ivan muller on January 18, 2012, 05:12:48 am
Thanks everyone for the very helpful suggestions! I have cleaned up the sky and lightened the shadows a bit....I like it better now too...

Regarding the scrotum, well I suppose these are prize bulls and prospective buyers want to see how manly they are....so it sort of a 'alpha male' thing I wonder..... ::)

Surprisingly they are quite tame and if you stand in their way they turn away....still a bit unnerving when a massive beast like this charges towards you and the farmer calmly says 'just stand there he will avoid you'...

I posted these with a bit of tongue in cheek but I am delighted at the response.....thanks!

[imghttp://i42.tinypic.com/xfvigk.jpg][/img]

Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: ivan muller on January 18, 2012, 05:18:45 am
Sorry it didn't load before...

[img(http://i42.tinypic.com/xfvigk.jpg)][/img]
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: feethea on January 18, 2012, 05:52:57 am
Very, very powerful images. Well done.

Barry
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 18, 2012, 09:15:32 am
Very, very powerful images. Well done.

Barry
+1.

Especially the new version. Nice.

Eric
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: louoates on January 18, 2012, 10:50:24 am
Great portrait with the changes.
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: aduke on January 18, 2012, 11:26:49 am
The new version is outstanding.

Well done.

Alan
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on January 18, 2012, 11:28:17 am
I don't suppose you'd let us in on the reasons for the scrotal visibility requirement, would you?

Jeremy

More bollocks = more bullocks  ;D

Dave
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 18, 2012, 01:17:20 pm
+1.

Especially the new version. Nice.

Eric
Agreed. Why did you not clone out the barbed wire while you were getting rid of the tree? It doesn't look as if it would be particularly difficult.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Les Sparks on January 18, 2012, 01:53:41 pm
I think the barbed wire actually adds to the photo.
Les
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Rob C on January 18, 2012, 02:54:08 pm
This seems to have been commissioned work; if you start to PS one thing, folks might wonder where the PSing stopped and cast aspersions upon the virility of the poor old scrificial goat!

I think reality would be the order of the day on this occassion.

Rob C
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: luxborealis on January 18, 2012, 04:12:20 pm
Great update on the photograph.

In my first post, I had meant to compliment you on the modelling of the light, particularly on the shadowed side of the bull. Very tactile and three dimensional.
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 18, 2012, 06:10:23 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but where are the horns?
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Rob C on January 18, 2012, 06:21:11 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but where are the horns?



Usually, in front of the bulbous bits.

Rob C
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: degrub on January 18, 2012, 07:28:41 pm
removed to prevent injuries.
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 18, 2012, 07:39:47 pm
removed to prevent injuries.

Gee, I did not realize Mr. Muller has a celebrity status equalling that of Annie Leibovitz, to request such terms in his contract ;)
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: degrub on January 18, 2012, 10:01:40 pm
 :D
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: ivan muller on January 19, 2012, 12:50:30 am
Yes, horns are generally removed from a very young age to prevent injuries....this breed of cattle called 'Bonsmara' was developed from a breed called 'Afrikaner' that had extremely long horns......

Modelling light on the side largely thanks to the micro contrast slider in LR....It would seem that the larger the sensor the better it works.

Just a verbal contract, but I must try and remember for next time...... :)





Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Rob C on January 19, 2012, 04:19:13 am
Surprisingly they are quite tame and if you stand in their way they turn away....still a bit unnerving when a massive beast like this charges towards you and the farmer calmly says 'just stand there he will avoid you'...




I bet Ava Gardner didn't know that!

Rob C
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: john beardsworth on January 19, 2012, 04:54:29 am
Pardon my ignorance, but where are the horns?
In other words, the bulls aren't very horny?
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: ivan muller on January 19, 2012, 05:14:08 am
John, Rob, thanks I am having a good laugh.... I just wonder how long we can spin out this 'cock n bull' story...... :)
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on January 19, 2012, 05:47:00 am
John, Rob, thanks I am having a good laugh.... I just wonder how long we can spin out this 'cock n bull' story...... :)

There used to be a three piece jazz band that occasionally played in my local pub called "Dick and his two swingers".  :o

But all joking aside, these really are great shots, bravo..!

Dave
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 19, 2012, 09:59:04 am
In other words, the bulls aren't very horny?

Looks like we are more corny than those bulls are horny ;D
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Rob C on January 19, 2012, 10:31:43 am
If them bulls ain't horny, them bulls ain't worth squat! They should try the back row of the Odeon - oh, sorry, it was demolished some decades ago. ;-(

Rob C
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on January 19, 2012, 12:52:13 pm
...
Title: Re: Bull photography.....
Post by: ivan muller on January 19, 2012, 03:07:23 pm
 ;D ;D ;D