Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Rob C on January 14, 2012, 03:16:09 pm

Title: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: Rob C on January 14, 2012, 03:16:09 pm
Hi -

I have another problem to which someone may be able to contribute a solution: using the T-tool whilst writing captions, some of the keyboard characters can't be accessed. I have no idea why this is difficult and I have worked around the problem for ages, mainly by altering the captions to something perhaps not quite as accurate as I'd like, but two in particular are sending me slightly nuts - the apostrophe and the hyphen.

How does one write ' and - using the T tool?

Please save my sanity!

Rob C
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: tom b on January 14, 2012, 03:22:41 pm
If all else fails, copy and paste.

Cheers,
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: Rob C on January 14, 2012, 05:08:37 pm
If all else fails, copy and paste.

Cheers,




Thanks, Tom, I never even thought about that!

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: Luca Ragogna on January 14, 2012, 05:33:46 pm
There's no tricks here. Just type like normal. If stuff isn't showing up there's probably a font issue. Try changing to a different font and type your caption.
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: daws on January 15, 2012, 12:10:09 am
My CS5/Windows types all characters with the T Tool. However, FWIW, I've had issues identical to Rob's in a few other, text-based applications over the years -- issues which turned out to be related to the fonts installed by Windows.
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: Rob C on January 15, 2012, 04:05:47 am
My CS5/Windows types all characters with the T Tool. However, FWIW, I've had issues identical to Rob's in a few other, text-based applications over the years -- issues which turned out to be related to the fonts installed by Windows.



That you've had this problem in the past suggests that it's probably an age-of-system problem: I'm on PS6!

I did try using all the unlikely characters on the keyboard, just in the hope that they are mixed up and out of kilter, and some did appear in strange places, but not the two I seek - they didn't appear at all!

Using a different font isn't really an option, because I'm hoping to keep to a house-style throughout...

Great Expectations?

Rob C
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: Vegard on January 15, 2012, 05:26:38 am
Using a different font isn't really an option

But it is defintely an option for troubleshooting. It will let you ascertain whether this is a font problem or not. So please try  :)
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: Rob C on January 15, 2012, 11:53:15 am
But it is defintely an option for troubleshooting. It will let you ascertain whether this is a font problem or not. So please try  :)



Okay - that's another perspective - thanks!

Rob C
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: sniper on January 15, 2012, 12:55:55 pm
Rob what font are you using?
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: Rob C on January 15, 2012, 01:36:16 pm
Rob what font are you using?



Hi sniper -

Arial, Regular, 14pt., Nitido (Spanish for sharp).

Rob C
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: Frankomatic on January 15, 2012, 01:47:59 pm
I've had a similar issue with the hyphen (minus sign -) on keyboards with a numeric keypad.  Would only work if I avoided the keypad and used the keyboard key that also contains the underscore character.
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: Rob C on January 15, 2012, 02:32:17 pm
I've had a similar issue with the hyphen (minus sign -) on keyboards with a numeric keypad.  Would only work if I avoided the keypad and used the keyboard key that also contains the underscore character.




Not sure I understand the last sentence properly - but using the button with - and _ on it doesn't work either - with my setup.

Rob C
Title: Re: T Tool in Photoshop
Post by: famalam on January 17, 2012, 05:44:51 pm
Copy paste is great advice, I'd never thought of that. I always just switched fonts.