Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dmp on January 14, 2012, 11:32:09 am

Title: Print Viewing Station
Post by: dmp on January 14, 2012, 11:32:09 am
For those of you who've taken the time to establish a controlled viewing station, what solution did you eventually use? I'm currently trying to make a better viewing / evaluating situation for my prints that goes beyond a mix of filtered window light and daylight balanced fluorescent bulbs and am especially interested in the DIY approach and not so much the commercial products available. I have a pair of Solux bulbs but don't have an elegant solution for using them.

If you went for controlling the ambient light level, how did you balance a comfortable work environment and the need for low-level lighting? Working during the day vs. at night?

Thanks for you responses!
Title: Re: Print Viewing Station
Post by: neile on January 14, 2012, 03:05:13 pm
Check out my print studio tour to see how I handled it. http://www.danecreek.com/blog/2011/07/30/a-tour-through-the-print-studio-2.html.

Neil
Title: Re: Print Viewing Station
Post by: dmp on January 14, 2012, 03:25:25 pm
Nice setup but it's a bit beyond what I'm looking to do.
Title: Re: Print Viewing Station
Post by: neile on January 14, 2012, 03:28:19 pm
It is easy to scale smaller. You already have the solux bulbs. You can get a smaller piece of metal, and a good shade for your window.

Neil
Title: Re: Print Viewing Station
Post by: Chris_Brown on January 14, 2012, 03:44:07 pm
I replaced all the fluorescent lamps in my studio with GE Chroma 50 lamps (http://www.elightbulbs.com/library/ge_chroma50_sylvania_designer5000_fluorescent_light_bulbs_from_service_lighting.cfm) (or the equivalent), and I have a standard 4' shop light fixture (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LUMAPRO-Industrial-Fluorescent-Fixture-2NAW8?cm_sp=EN-_-L2-_-MostPopular&cm_vc=FFMP) with Chroma 50s hanging over my print evaluation area.

If you're concerned about tungsten color vs. daylight color, then simply add a nice track light (http://amzn.com/B001BQHRP8) to the ceiling of your viewing area and use decent quality quartz-halogen bulbs. Then A/B the lighting to evaluate the differences (and go insane in the process).

If your clients will be viewing the prints in their home, under tungsten conditions, it's worth trying to emulate that.
Title: Re: Print Viewing Station
Post by: dmp on January 14, 2012, 04:08:28 pm
@neile,

Yes, that's possible. My window is already shaded (but not totally blacked-out) and I have daylight-balanced compact fluorescent bulbs for ambient light. It's really getting the Solux bulb at a reasonable brightness level that isn't quite right yet.

@Chris,

Have to reconsider the track lighting option.
Title: Re: Print Viewing Station
Post by: KeithR on January 14, 2012, 06:45:37 pm
You may want to look at this thread from earlier this month.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=60804.0