Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: rgs on January 13, 2012, 01:00:48 pm

Title: Help me ID this flower
Post by: rgs on January 13, 2012, 01:00:48 pm
I've looked many places and cannot ID this wildflower. If anyone recognizes it, let me know.

Thanks
RGS
www.myrsphoto.com

Title: Re: Help me ID this flower
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 13, 2012, 01:13:20 pm
It would help knowing where you photographed it. I know of two varieties of blue poppy, which is what it looks like. Meconopsis cambrica (Welsh Poppy) is native to the UK & other parts of Europe. The other variety is from the Himalayas, Meconopsis grandis.


Edit: I see that the file is part-labelled 'Alaska', which doesn't help. Maybe another variety of Meconopsis?
Title: Re: Help me ID this flower
Post by: Wills on January 13, 2012, 01:14:13 pm
himalayan-poppies
Title: Re: Help me ID this flower
Post by: rgs on January 13, 2012, 01:22:23 pm
It certainly would. I'm sorry I didn't include it. It came from the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. Near Girdwood in the Chugach NF. Following up on "Meconopsis grandis", it certainly looks like that's what it is. I don't know why I found it growing wild in Alaska. Internet sources point to it being a garden flower. In any case, it certainly is a good looking flower.
Title: Re: Help me ID this flower
Post by: John E on January 13, 2012, 02:28:03 pm
This probably isn't much help, as I don't recall the actual name, but when my wife and I traveled to Vancouver Island, BC, in 2004, this poppy was quite prevalent in the many gardens around Victoria, including Abkhazi and Butchart. Might take a peek on those websites to see if it's listed? (I did a quick search on Butchart's site, and note they have a Blue Poppy Restaurant).

John

Edit: Here's another site that may shed some light - http://www.gardenwiseonline.ca/gw/plants/2004/05/01/blue-poppy
       (BTW, the ones we saw were not as dark blue as the one on that website, they were the lighter blue as in your photo.)