Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: john milich on January 12, 2012, 07:17:32 pm
-
i'm looking for a suitable adhesive...print sizes 16 x20 minimum, up tp 44 x 60, more or less. I do have a large vacuum laminating
press (cold). my choice would be something I could roller on the aluminum and that would set in 30 minutes or so under vacuum
thx
-
Check out Raphael’s Miracle Muck. http://raphaelstoday.com/miraclemuck.aspx I haven't used it with aluminum but have used a fair amount of it to bond canvas and photo rag to gatorboard and related. It applies with a roller and is heat re-activated if needed at some point.
The trick to applying this with a roller is to use a thin but uniform coat. Too much Muck and the paper will float and inevitably not be flat.
I don’t know if it would benefit from using a vacuum press but a call to the vendor would let you know.
-
BreathingColor claims that their Glamour II can be used as an adhesive.
-
We use polymount dry mount film for gator, it might work for aluminum if you are heat mounting (although cold mount is prob best for aluminum )
basically a thin layer of plastic which melts when you heat it then sticks when it's cooled. Theory much like a hot glue gun,
Pretty easy to work with, you do have to heat it for quite some time to get a good stick (I think we go 6 min's at 180 with gator, longer if it's canvas in our Bienfang vacuum press).
Miracle Muck and Glamour II I think are just adhesives, not sure they're designed to be "heat" activated. think the poly would be faster and less messy.
-
^ "Miracle Muck....can be used cold and wet, or on flat surfaces, applied and allowed to dry, then activated with heat."
From http://raphaelstoday.com/miraclemuck.aspx
Glamour 2 is offensively overpriced for an adhesive.
-
muck on the way, not sure about the heat part yet
thx for he feedback
-
Aluminum is a non-porous surface which Miracle Muck and Glamour cannot create any bond strength to. It is unfortunate that people are comparing gator to aluminum/dibond type surface.