Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: mbalensiefer on January 12, 2012, 02:39:51 am

Title: RGB laptop screen
Post by: mbalensiefer on January 12, 2012, 02:39:51 am
I have a new (refurbished) Dell Studio XPS 1645 that has an HD-resolution full RGB gamut LED screen. I would like to calibrate its monitor using the Spectraview SVII software and puck (which I have). The software will not allow me to do this, however; as my screen is not an NEC. What can I do to profile my monitor?

Michael
Title: Re: RGB laptop screen
Post by: shewhorn on January 12, 2012, 01:41:15 pm
BasICColor Display v5 or Color Eyes Display Pro will support that puck. If you're comfortable with a command line, Argyll CMS is free.
Title: Re: RGB laptop screen
Post by: howardm on January 12, 2012, 02:22:16 pm
I think the bigger question (and one I'm not sure if it has been answered here) is if the NEC special version of the i1D2 puck is particularly accurate when used w/ a non-Spectraview screen.  I vaguely recall hearing that it wasn't.

I haven't actually tried to calibrate a non-NEC screen w/ Spectraview software but I know that it knew that a second screen (iMac) was connected and it did let me visual match to it so it was able to manipulate the iMac's video LUTs.  From that, I'd *suppose* (ie. guess and hope) it'd be able to do a full calibration but maybe not.
Title: Re: RGB laptop screen
Post by: Paz on January 14, 2012, 05:59:37 pm
I have a HD resolution RGB LED laptop monitor.  I've had good results with both the Spyder3 (Elite) and the i1Display Pro pucks.  

The guys at ColorEyes say they are working on a version of their software which will be compatible with the i1Display Pro... actually, come to think of it, it would work with the Spyder3 as well.  With the Spyder, it is necessary to move 'Spyder3 Utility' out of the startup folder.

(Sorry, I know nothing about the Spectraview equipment you already have.)  

Paz