Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: bucko on January 10, 2012, 06:36:41 pm

Title: Bought an EPSON 3880 need advice for paper
Post by: bucko on January 10, 2012, 06:36:41 pm
Hi,

I just bought an Epson 3880 and I am having a photo of mine auctioned in an art show. I am looking for professional exhibition paper that this photo would look great on. It will printed at 17 by 22.  Would luster paper be good and what brands could someone recommend? Any other types of paper besides luster? I think I heard that works best for night photos? Thank you

Bucko
Title: Re: Bought an EPSON 3880 need advice for paper
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on January 10, 2012, 07:48:33 pm
It will look great on Ilford Gold Fiber Silk.  Problem is that the Ilford profiles are not very good.  Send me a PM about a profile if interested
Title: Re: Bought an EPSON 3880 need advice for paper
Post by: howardm on January 10, 2012, 07:57:24 pm
Besides GFS paper, you may want to look at the Canson Baryta or their 'Platine' (rag), both lustre, both fantastic :)

Lastly would be Harman by Hahn. Gloss Baryta
Title: Re: Bought an EPSON 3880 need advice for paper
Post by: bucko on January 10, 2012, 09:52:56 pm
Ok Howard,

These papers ? Any one of them? or which one might be best if you know. Thanks

Platine Fibre Rag 310 g/m²
         
Rag Photographique 210 g/m²
         
Rag Photographique 310 g/m²
         
Rag Photographique Duo 220 g/m²
Title: Re: Bought an EPSON 3880 need advice for paper
Post by: texshooter on January 10, 2012, 11:24:31 pm
if you want to varnish the print, use harman gloss barya (or ilford gold silk).
if you dont want to varnish, but still need gloss, use ilford smooth pearl.
if you want no gloss, use epson hot press bright white.
Title: Re: Bought an EPSON 3880 need advice for paper
Post by: howardm on January 11, 2012, 12:26:25 pm

Paper is a *very* individual choice.  The Platine has a Lustre type surface.  All of the Rag Photographique
papers are matte.  the 210 is pretty thin/light and the Duo is doublesided.  I doubt either of that will appeal
to you.  I believe you said you wanted Lustre so really, theonly one would be the Platine (cotton rag) or Baryta
Photographique (alpha cellulose/woodpulp)

They sell a 15 sheet Discovery Pack of allll their different types of paper.


Ok Howard,

These papers ? Any one of them? or which one might be best if you know. Thanks

Platine Fibre Rag 310 g/m²
         
Rag Photographique 210 g/m²
         
Rag Photographique 310 g/m²
         
Rag Photographique Duo 220 g/m²