Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: rcloud on January 09, 2012, 12:35:26 pm
-
Hi guys, yesterday I shot my friend using my lighting for the first time. The results were ok, but the background was not ideal and I didn't really know what I was doing with the lights, leading to a difficult shadow. So I would like to remote the pictures from the wall as well as the shadow. I'm new to PS. Is clone stamp the best option for doing this or are there any other tricks. I'm on a mac.
Kind regards, and thanks for any advice
-
Do some google searching on selections and the "Refine Edge" tool in CS5 using the brush tool to help define the edge. Too much to explain in one post, but there are some good youtube tutorials.
Very powerful tool and should be able to do what you want. Make a selection of the subject, then you could mask out and put them on a new background.
I would not use the clone tool.
-
Wow, that's gonna be a really tough picture to extract because your background varies from dark to bright, and so does the subject, in many different combinations.
Yes, check the tutorials. You've got a fairly steep learning curve ahead. You will probably need to make three or four different masks optimized for various parts of the images, then combine them. Plan to some manual painting on the masks as well.
Although Refine Edge is pretty cool, there are some third party tools like OnOne's Mask Pro that are even better but unfortunately not especially intuitive. You can download functional trial versions, methinks. Watch the manufacturers' demo videos, those can help.
-
If you go the third party route, I suggest Topaz Remask. I have tried Mask Pro, Fluid Mask, and a bunch of others and Remask wins hands down. Bonus it is also much less expensive than most of the others, especially so when they have a special. It is the easiest to use in my opinion.
One the other hand, CS5 using the Magic Wand and Refine mask tools may do the job.
Larry
-
If you go the third party route, I suggest Topaz Remask. I have tried Mask Pro, Fluid Mask, and a bunch of others and Remask wins hands down. Bonus it is also much less expensive than most of the others, especially so when they have a special. It is the easiest to use in my opinion.
One the other hand, CS5 using the Magic Wand and Refine mask tools may do the job.
Larry
I second the use of Topaz Remask.... works well. I used it on the image in this thread and got very good results.... just don't know how to post the image.
-
not really that hard at all.You may have to do some touch ups after your extraction but considering the edges you have to worh with....
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-russell-brown-show/advanced-masking-with-photoshop-cs5/