Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Kevin Gallagher on January 08, 2012, 07:59:43 am

Title: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on January 08, 2012, 07:59:43 am
 Our two Norwegian Elkhounds had a playdate with a friend's two Spinones. The smaller Spinone was new to the house as some schmuck, after spending almost 4k for two puppies, decided he didn't want them so they were driven from Stamford, CT to New Salem, NY and released 15 miles apart to fend for themselves. I really would like to have 5 minutes with the guy who did this but I digress... anyway here's a link to a short, rough clip of them having a taffy pull with a toy.

http://vimeo.com/34715451 (http://vimeo.com/34715451)
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: alban on January 08, 2012, 05:08:42 pm
Great , I love Elkhounds. Where did you get them? I am looking for a decent breeder but no luck



Alban
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on January 08, 2012, 05:12:41 pm
PM sent  :)
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: BobDavid on January 09, 2012, 10:55:21 pm
Ahhh, nice video. Great dogs.
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: mediumcool on January 21, 2012, 08:02:09 am
Are the Spinones the dogs which look a bit like Keeshonds? Nice to see once-abandoned dogs having a play.

I have had a Kelpie/Labrador X for over two years who was obviously beaten and kicked (he’s very active, likes digging and steals things off tables and counters—my fault; I forget to move them). DB has put on weight and is now very affectionate, but it took a while. But he will be nervous to the end I think, and has had one epilectic episode.

(http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/5886/dbonbed.jpg)

Stealing the drinking bucket!
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Rob C on January 21, 2012, 04:25:57 pm
Are the Spinones the dogs which look a bit like Keeshonds? Nice to see once-abandoned dogs having a play.

I have had a Kelpie/Labrador X for over two years who was obviously beaten and kicked (he’s very active, likes digging and steals things off tables and counters—my fault; I forget to move them). DB has put on weight and is now very affectionate, but it took a while. But he will be nervous to the end I think, and has had one epilectic episode.




That's because he senses the missing Nikons; be kind, put him at ease, get one!

Rob C
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: mediumcool on January 21, 2012, 04:35:17 pm
That's because he senses the missing Nikons; be kind, put him at ease, get one!

Rob C

Nah, happy with Pentax (I can get them wholesale). Very happy with the 12–24 and 16–45!

 :D
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Rob C on January 21, 2012, 04:45:58 pm
Nah, happy with Pentax (I can get them wholesale). Very happy with the 12–24 and 16–45!

 :D



Oh well, since dogs come the same way, I suppose it's okay!

Rob C
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: mediumcool on January 21, 2012, 05:04:49 pm
Oh well, since dogs come the same way, I suppose it's okay!

Prefer bitzers to thoroughbreds any day!
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on January 21, 2012, 07:10:41 pm
G'day mate!  :) The Keeshound looking guys are my Norwegian Elkhounds, the other two are the Spinones. The video was shot at my friend's place (his Spinones). As fortune would have it, he's bringing them to my place tomorrow for a visit, stay tuned for more.. :)
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on January 21, 2012, 07:18:14 pm
 Hi Rob, my first SLR was a Canon AE1 Program. Had no idea what I was doing with it (and it showed!). FF to 1999 or so and on to a Kodak DCS120 ( I Think), a Nikon 990, D1, and so on... still using a D2X.   :)
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: mediumcool on January 21, 2012, 08:42:21 pm
G'day mate!  :) The Keeshound looking guys are my Norwegian Elkhounds, the other two are the Spinones. The video was shot at my friend's place (his Spinones). As fortune would have it, he's bringing them to my place tomorrow for a visit, stay tuned for more.. :)

Two kinds of people in the world; animal lovers and everybody else. When i got a dog as an adult, I quickly realised the gap!
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Rob C on January 22, 2012, 04:59:56 am
As long as it wasn't a pink-dyed mini-poodle you should have been okay.

We always had pooches of some sort or another, and when the last one died it broke our hearts and we couldn't face the death of another. So we stopped having any at all. Yet, I never trusted anybody else's animals, including cats. Especially cats.

Walking past a little bar yesterday, I noticed that a client had tied an alsation and a smaller mongrel, one to the collar of the other, and the alsation to a post near the door to the establishment... both dogs, anxious about their owner, were blocking the entrance. I, for one, wouldn't have tried to squeeze past them to get inside. Thoughtless... maybe that's partly why it's dog lovers v. the rest?

As for poop on the pavements - they supply stands with plastic bag dispensers in places, but these seem seldom to be used. Some remnants are so tough you could trip and break your leg. Had you just taken on the new lease to a bar, that would be most distressing; could force you into becoming your own best customer.

Serious business, life.

Rob C
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Dewi Sant on January 22, 2012, 07:18:07 pm
Lovely video - nice to see happy, well looked after dogs. I've had dogs all my life - mostly gun dogs. Not that I shoot, I just love the gundog breeds especailly Spaniels. This is our current girl, Josie (Jo cocker) she's a 16 months old tri colour English cocker and as intelligent a dog as you'll find. She's our first girl dog & the wife informs me that's why she's more intelligent than all the previous males. Hard to argue with the logic I suppose  :) http://www.dewisant-photography.net/dewi_sant_photography_recently_taken.htm (http://www.dewisant-photography.net/dewi_sant_photography_recently_taken.htm)
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: mediumcool on January 24, 2012, 04:13:46 am
Lovely video - nice to see happy, well looked after dogs. I've had dogs all my life - mostly gun dogs. Not that I shoot, I just love the gundog breeds especailly Spaniels. This is our current girl, Josie (Jo cocker) she's a 16 months old tri colour English cocker and as intelligent a dog as you'll find. She's our first girl dog & the wife informs me that's why she's more intelligent than all the previous males. Hard to argue with the logic I suppose  :) http://www.dewisant-photography.net/dewi_sant_photography_recently_taken.htm (http://www.dewisant-photography.net/dewi_sant_photography_recently_taken.htm)

Josie looks quite put-upon, in a *yes, I still love you, but humans have too much of an obsession with soapsuds* sort of way.
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on January 24, 2012, 06:06:53 am


Hi Dewi, what a beautiful dog! I don't believe I've even seen a cocker with tri color markings.
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Les Sparks on January 24, 2012, 02:16:00 pm
Dewi,
What a beautiful lady. Great photos.
Les
Title: Re: For Dog Lovers Only
Post by: Dewi Sant on January 26, 2012, 04:51:30 pm
Thanks for your comments guys - I'll pass them on to Jo  :)  She is indeed a beautiful girl, but not just in the aesthetic sense. She's the most beautiful natured dog as well, she loves everyone and there's not a growl in her, in fact she rarely barks. She's just happy with life and loves being a dog - hates warm soapy water though but she'll spend hours on our walks grovelling about in muddy plugholes.  Here's a little video I shot last year which just about sums her up  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTz-tYBKVvA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTz-tYBKVvA)


Dewi