Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: petermarrek on January 06, 2012, 12:53:15 pm

Title: Photoshop transfer
Post by: petermarrek on January 06, 2012, 12:53:15 pm
Before traveling to Mexico for the winter, I purchased a new i7 MacbookPro and equipped it with 2 SSD drives for maximum useability during the winter. I forgot to bring my Photoshop discs with me. What is the best way to transfer Cs2, 3, &4 from my old laptop to the new one? Peter
Title: Re: Photoshop transfer
Post by: Big Mike on January 06, 2012, 01:42:00 pm
I'm not sure that you can transfer a program from one computer to another like that (short of swapping the drive with the OS on it).

It might be a long shot, but if you could download a trial version from Adobe, and then get them to dig up your account, they might be able to give you an activation/registration code.  Probably only works with the latest version though.

Best to call & ask Adobe directly. 
Title: Re: Photoshop transfer
Post by: petermarrek on January 06, 2012, 02:11:50 pm
Calling from Mexico presents many challenges, internet access is marginal for an almost 1 gig download, looked up my adobe account and found my serial numbers so if I succesfully download it (will try again later) I will probably be OK, did the same thing with Lightroom 3.5, also looking at migration assistant. Thank for trying, Peter
Title: Re: Photoshop transfer
Post by: mediumcool on January 07, 2012, 02:33:41 am
Before traveling to Mexico for the winter, I purchased a new i7 MacbookPro and equipped it with 2 SSD drives for maximum useability during the winter. I forgot to bring my Photoshop discs with me. What is the best way to transfer Cs2, 3, &4 from my old laptop to the new one? Peter

I recently transferred CS2 Suite from my MBP to a G5 (don’t ask!) so as to run PPC software without translation (and some obselete plug-ins that I would like to keep around); and I’ll be running an HP DesignJet 30ps from the G5 with older software so it will work properly.

When I transferred the SW, I got a *repair* message in PS from the install screen; rang Adobe (India, by the sound of it) and got a serial number that would work to fix, from a very pleasant lady.
Title: Re: Photoshop transfer
Post by: petermarrek on January 07, 2012, 07:41:28 pm
Hooray,  moved CS3 & CS4 folder from applicatios folder to an external drive, then copied them to the new computer, they both opened, no problem, so far so good. Peter
Title: Re: Photoshop transfer
Post by: mediumcool on January 07, 2012, 08:59:51 pm
Hooray,  moved CS3 & CS4 folder from applicatios folder to an external drive, then copied them to the new computer, they both opened, no problem, so far so good. Peter

Easy! BTW, which platform are you using?