Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Chacaboy on January 04, 2012, 08:52:14 pm
-
I am a photographer making a proposal for a grant/purchase award and need to estimate ink costs for well over one hundred prints. The prints are all color landscape aerials and will be printed on an Epson 2880, probably on Harmon/Hann Matt cotton smooth. It would be hugely helpful to have a rough figure for ink cartridge use. I'm aware images use different amounts of each color, but cartridge costs are uniform so it seems reasonable to expect that coverage in number of cartridges per, say 25, 50, or 100 sq feet are out there somewhere. A rough figure is fine. Epson on this: "We get this question regularly, but unfortunately we don't have that information and we don't have a source for that information." (We get this all the time but we don't have a clue!) Any takers?
-
See this REVIEW (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/3800-costs.shtml) by Mark Segal. It covers the Epson 3800 but you should be able to extrapolate to the 2880 with the smaller print cartridges.
-
Even better....... :D
http://www.redrivercatalog.com/epson-stylus-r2880-cost-per-print.html
-
Using the R1800 I was getting about 15 A3 prints before a cartridge change. using more magenta and Cyan than the others.
Take into account, nozzle cleans, nozzle checks, cartridge changes all used up heaps of ink something like 30%, yes its high.
The cartridges are from what I have read 15ml each.
Hope I remembed the figures correctly.
Now I can see exactly how much I use with the 7900 which is a lot more efficient that the r1800.
r
-
Many thanks!
-
I've found on my 9800 and 9900, the ink consumption per square foot is about 1.25 to 2 ml. I usually figure my costs on the high side, so my rule of thumb is to consider that it takes 2 ml per square foot of paper or canvas.
If you need to error overall, always figure on the high side to factor in waste prints, nozzle checks and cleanings.