Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: sboerup on January 03, 2012, 05:43:20 pm

Title: Canon 8300 - rebate or service contract?
Post by: sboerup on January 03, 2012, 05:43:20 pm
So I just bought an ipf8300, and can't wait to start printing.  The current Canon offer is $500 cash or a CarePAK for an extra 1 year...What all does the CarePak include?  I'm imaging it extends the printer warranty another year, which includes ANY problems, including print-head replacements?    I'm guessing the $1250 value of the warranty makes sense...but, what would you do?
Title: Re: Canon 8300 - rebate or service contract?
Post by: bill t. on January 03, 2012, 06:18:44 pm
I've thrashed the heck out of my 8300 for over a year now.  And that's with almost 100% canvas, which is much less gentle than your typical media.  Only problem was one head replacement at 4200ml, just after the planing down an earwig (aka hard-shelled insect) plastered into some canvas coatings.  Won't point any fingers but those things can happen to us canvas schleppers.

It was a moot question for me since my New Mexico home is in one the few states where the plan is not available.  But I was happy to get the cash and all is OK so far with at least one heavy duty cycle 8300.  I was initially worried about durability, but so far I'm just lovin' it and it has caused me zero grief and zero wasted time, except of course for the bug incident.

One thought is that the pricing of that printer is often so low that the cost of a ready-to-go replacement printer complete with an ink set and heads is not much different that the cost of a set of inks, replacement heads, and warranty plan WITHOUT the ready-to-go swap-out printer.  The box is humongous, buy would make a good temporary base for a 4 x 8 foot worktable table.  And no waiting around for the printer-boy to show up.
Title: Re: Canon 8300 - rebate or service contract?
Post by: sboerup on January 03, 2012, 07:44:52 pm
Thats my thought, I essentially payed about $800 for the printer after the ink is factored in...less if I take another $500 rebate...
Title: Re: Canon 8300 - rebate or service contract?
Post by: neile on January 04, 2012, 12:56:17 am
Take the cash and run. Extended warranties are always a scam :)

Neil
Title: Re: Canon 8300 - rebate or service contract?
Post by: abiggs on January 04, 2012, 09:58:21 am
I have had my 8300 for 2 years now (serial #0000005). haha. Anyway, I would take the $500 and be on your merry way. I replaced both print heads recently, after TONS of prints over the past 24 months. Happy camper.
Title: Re: Canon 8300 - rebate or service contract?
Post by: sboerup on January 04, 2012, 10:07:44 am
Thanks Andy, glad to hear you had great success!  Didn't I sell you a 1Ds3 a few years ago?  Love your work!
Title: Re: Canon 8300 - rebate or service contract?
Post by: abiggs on January 04, 2012, 10:09:32 am
Spencer, that's me! Thanks so much. Enjoy your 8300. You will love it.