Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: nemophoto on December 28, 2011, 11:41:04 am
-
I have had a strange thing happen in regards to my Canon iPF6100 printer. I was sent a beta paper to test for a paper manufacturer. Needless to say, because it was beta, no profiles are available and I have to create my own. No big problem... except a single patch causes the whole profile to fail. For some reason, a blue target patch of RGB value 192, using an eye dropper in Photoshop, ends up printing sort of a light to medium gray-ish. No heads are clogged. I print a perfect test page on the heads and alignment equally prints perfectly. I use only Canon inks. I just can't figure out why this one particular color is so far off that the i1 profiler returns the message, "you possibly scanned the wrong line". For any of you who have i1 match, it's the last patch on line 22 of the i1 TC 9 (page 2) charts. Neither Canon nor X-rite have been able to shine light on this or are terribly helpful beyond the usual.
Thanks,
Nemo
-
I’d try a custom target if you can make one. Or if possible, a target where this problematic patch is in a different location in the target or even make the same target with the patch size much larger.
-
Just a WAG, but RGB 0:0:192 would be very out of gamut for most media profiles. Did you you inadvertently have a profile applied?
-
Lots and lots of colors in such profile targets are out of gamut, doesn’t matter. There better be a 0/255/0, 0/0/255 etc somewhere in that target among others. That the result of the profile produces a conversion where such colors are out of gamut is certainly and likely possible.
The issue appears to be an error when reading this one color. This product will not currently win any awards for it’s sophistication in reporting errors!
As for the Photoshop report of 192, well the targets are untagged. So the values are based upon the current RGB working space. I suspect it is an error due to the layout of the patch, it’s size or something else based on the reported error.