Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Sheldon N on December 15, 2011, 11:58:25 am

Title: Interesting photography in Michael's backyard
Post by: Sheldon N on December 15, 2011, 11:58:25 am
Saw this interesting series of portraits on the NY Times Lens Blog yesterday. Photographer Russell Monk is living in San Miguel de Allende and shooting portraits of his neighbors and other interesting local characters. He apparently lived in Toronto before moving to San Miguel de Allenda... sounds familiar! :)

I believe the portraits are shot ambient light only with Trix-X and a Rolleiflex, and printed traditionally.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/neighborly-portraits-in-mexico/
Title: Re: Interesting photography in Michael's backyard
Post by: Brian Hirschfeld on December 15, 2011, 08:31:44 pm
Very nice lighting in these shots.
Title: Re: Interesting photography in Michael's backyard
Post by: Colorwave on December 15, 2011, 09:25:44 pm
Absolutely gorgeous.  Thanks for sharing these.
Title: Re: Interesting photography in Michael's backyard
Post by: brianrybolt on December 31, 2011, 05:15:15 am
Thanks for the heads-up on this photographer/photos.  About 3-4 years ago I was able to spend two weeks in SMA and Russell is absolutely right about the light and surrealistic feeling of the place.  My partner and I hope to return.  Huge amount to photograph and experience in the area.
Brian
Title: Re: Interesting photography in Michael's backyard
Post by: BobDavid on December 31, 2011, 09:29:30 am
Thanks for posting the link. Now I'm thinking it might be fun to dust off the old Rollei and load it up with som Tri-X. I always liked working with the square format. It trains the eye to see the world differently.