Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: donross on December 14, 2011, 10:25:28 pm

Title: Ilford GS profile for Epson 3800
Post by: donross on December 14, 2011, 10:25:28 pm
The official Ilford profile is not satisfactory.
I have made a couple with i-one system which are better but still a way off.
Are there any available which have been used by members?
Don
Title: Re: Ilford GS profile for Epson 3800
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 14, 2011, 10:37:15 pm
Your problem may not be the profile. A number of other conditions can affect your satisfaction with the results. That said, I don't know of any off-the-shelf profiles that optimally suit a combination of an Epson 3800 and Gold FIbre Silk paper. It is a combo I know well, as I used it since the time the paper first appeared on the market till I replaced the 3800 with a 4900. I got excellent results using a bespoke profile I made with XRite's now discontinued Pulse Elite profiling kit. Not knowing what the nature of your problem is, it's impossible to advise further.
Title: Re: Ilford GS profile for Epson 3800
Post by: donross on December 15, 2011, 12:42:53 am
Thanks for your response.
I only really wondered if something better was available after getting some Moab paper and finding their profile produced wonderfully 
faithful results.
Don
Title: Re: Ilford GS profile for Epson 3800
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on December 15, 2011, 08:18:35 am
To add to what Mark stated, I've also found that the Ilford profiles are quite poor.  I had an Epson 2880 and now a 3880 and in each case the Ilford profile was washed out in some of the color ranges and not true in others.  You can see this in Photoshop when you try to do a softproof and of course when you print.  In each case I made my own profiles using ArgyllCMS and the results have been more than satisfactory. 
Title: Re: Ilford GS profile for Epson 3800
Post by: howardm on December 15, 2011, 08:56:14 am
Alan/Mark (maybe others)...

I'm curious if by chance anyone has tried using the Canson Baryta Photo. profile instead of the Ilford GFS profile and compared since those 2 papers *seem* to be essentially the same paper.
Title: Re: Ilford GS profile for Epson 3800
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 15, 2011, 09:38:45 am
Howard, I haven't, as I went through all of this well before Canson Baryta Photographique came to market, but it's a good thought and certainly worth a try.