Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: KatManDEW on December 11, 2011, 11:12:46 pm
-
Hello. I'm a new user on this forum.
I have a iPF 6300 on the way. It's my first large format printer. I've been using a Canon i9900 for several years and I've had very good luck with it.
What paper would you recommend for a first time iPF 6300 user like me? I think gloss or semi-gloss would be my preference for now.
Where is the best place to get ink?
I've read that it's not possible to print borderless on single sheets. Is this true? I'm not interested in small snapshot prints, so that's not a problem. Should I just get rolls in the widths that I am interested in?
Many thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.
-
Congrats on the new printer!
You'll get lots of opinions on paper to try. I'll suggest Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk. Nice stuff.
Ink price is the same pretty much everywhere. Suppliers that are recommended/used by folks here include www.atlex.com, www.itsupplies.com, and www.shadesofpaper.com (call them for pricing, don't go by the website). For ink I often wind up ordering from Amazon.com because I have Amazon Prime so 2-day shipping is free. Any of the three places mentioned above are also good sources for paper.
Correct, you can't print borderless on cut sheets.
Neil
-
Regarding ink. I was just told today by a dealer here in the UK that a lot of counterfeit ink is being sold masquerading as genuine Canon ink. It could be a bit of scaremongering, but worth considering if you are searching the internet for the cheapest price. Probably best to stick to reputable suppliers.
Jim
-
at some point you'll perhaps want to be in contact with the folks at breathingcolor.com lots of people (including me) enjoy their canvas and finishing products. I love the OpticaOne paper.
-
Canon Glacier aka HW Satin.
As for smaller formats, I'm just printing them on 24" rolls and cut them into pieces.
-
Canon Glacier aka HW Satin.
As for smaller formats, I'm just printing them on 24" rolls and cut them into pieces.
That's exactly what I was wondering about today. Thanks for confirming that possibility.
And thanks to everyone for the information. I'm going to investigate some of it right now.
-
Canon Hw Satin
Canson Rag Photographique
Harmon Baryta
I find the Ilford Gallerie and the Canson Baryta have a lot more bronzing with these inks and scratch much easier.
-
I received the iPF6300 yesterday. What an amazing machine! I expected a learning curve, and some less than stellar prints to start with, but I'm happy to say that I'm very impressed with the very first prints. And it's absolutely the best print to monitor match that I've ever achieved.
I got a 24 inck roll of Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl to get me started, since I'm used to using paper similar to that, and I really like it so far. I'm sure I will want to try some of the other paper eventually.
I haven't installed any software except the drivers and manual. I've been printing with Qimage. Some of the printer settings are a bit confusing, but I've successfully created a couple custom paper sizes.
I thought I read some special precautions about using higher print quality in the driver, but I can't find it. Standard, High, and Highest print quality are all listed as 600 DPI, but I assume this is dependant on the paper I'm using, right?
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
-
Don't have the 6300, but 5100 now and previous 5000. I can't imagine why you would not leave it in highest mode, have read several reviews, and have never seen any reservations here. You may be thinking of the "high precision" option in which the head moves closer to the media, increasing the chance of head strike .
The link below is to a number of reviews of the X300 series, and is from the Canon LF printer Wiki, which has a very helpful discussion forum and an impressive FAQ section:
http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Reviews
Pete
-
Maybe that was the "high precision" mode I was thinking of. I did read about that, and it sounds like something I don't want to experiment with, at least not at this point.
I started checking out the Canon LF printer Wiki. Lots of good stuff there.
Is the Canon Canon Premium Glossy Photographic Paper 2 better than ilFord Galerie Smooth Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper? The Canon paper is much more expensive, especially with the current rebate on the Ilford paper.
Don't have the 6300, but 5100 now and previous 5000. I can't imagine why you would not leave it in highest mode, have read several reviews, and have never seen any reservations here. You may be thinking of the "high precision" option in which the head moves closer to the media, increasing the chance of head strike .
The link below is to a number of reviews of the X300 series, and is from the Canon LF printer Wiki, which has a very helpful discussion forum and an impressive FAQ section:
http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Reviews
Pete