Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Sheldon N on December 07, 2011, 12:35:44 pm

Title: i1 Display Pro/ColorMunki Display - White Point Control
Post by: Sheldon N on December 07, 2011, 12:35:44 pm
I've currently got the i1 Display 2 and am looking at making the jump up to either the i1 Display Pro or ColorMunki Display. I've read the reviews and it appears that you cannot manually set the white point with the Xrite software using the monitor's RGB controls; everything including white point is handled by the profile itself.

Are there going to be any negative effects in the profile from having the monitor start at a native white point rather than setting the white point manually?

I also saw this workaround for manually setting the white point posted by Czornyj...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=58826.msg475023#msg475023

Is there going to be any benefit to getting the i1 Display Pro so I can try this workaround, or would I be fine with the ColorMunki Display? The monitor I would be profiling is a Dell 2408WFP, but I'll probably be adding a Dell U2711 in the next few months.

Thanks!
Title: Re: i1 Display Pro/ColorMunki Display - White Point Control
Post by: Czornyj on December 07, 2011, 02:57:21 pm
Actually, new i1Profiler v1.2 update introduced manual RGB controls, so there's no need to use my workaround now. Whether it's useful or not depends on how precise is the internal LUT of the display.

Title: Re: i1 Display Pro/ColorMunki Display - White Point Control
Post by: Sheldon N on December 07, 2011, 03:23:35 pm
Actually, new i1Profiler v1.2 update introduced manual RGB controls, so there's no need to use my workaround now. Whether it's useful or not depends on how precise is the internal LUT of the display.

Well, that seals the deal then! Thanks!
Title: Re: i1 Display Pro/ColorMunki Display - White Point Control
Post by: Raw shooter on December 07, 2011, 05:32:33 pm
The i1Profiler v1.2 update is a much needed improvement.  You will get the control you want.
Love the results data - at the end.  Just a great update all around.

Now the software matches the hardware (both fantastic). The i1Display Pro has been a welcomed great product - and works much better than some of the reviews I've seen here.