Luminous Landscape Forum
Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: hdomke on December 07, 2011, 08:35:59 am
-
Luminous Landscape is a great resource. What else is out there for advanced nature photographers?
Please list one or two of your favorite websites.
-
Be real.
Rob C
-
Perhaps the Landscape and Nature Forum would be a better location for this question.
Jim
-
+1
Henry, I frequent two forums - this one and Fred Miranda for presentation and critiques of photographs. I consider Luminous Landscape to be my "must read" forum. I don't think the two forums compete at all - to me they are very different and if I had to give up one it would be Fred Miranda's.
Sharon
-
This one might be interesting for you (only about Landscape and Nature photography):
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/index.php
But I wouldn't say that "it competes" with LuLa... ;-)
Q.
-
I usually visit 3 times a week to:
1) http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum
2) http://www.apug.org/forums/forum13/
3) http://photo.net/photo-critique-forum/
4) http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php (large and mf section in particular)
5) And of course, I could not miss this forum (mid-format category) :-)
*z
-----
***Support http://www.thehumanape.org ***
-
The Nikonians is an interesting site for Nikon users but goes out of it's way to stifle any interesting debate. Alternative views seem to come under the scrutiny of the moderators pretty quickly. A lot of the members here wouldn't last long. BTW it is a fee paying site.
-
The Nikonians is an interesting site for Nikon users but goes out of it's way to stifle any interesting debate. Alternative views seem to come under the scrutiny of the moderators pretty quickly. A lot of the members here wouldn't last long. BTW it is a fee paying site.
Wow, that's still around? I used to be a paying member even before it was required. I stopped 'cause I couldn't figure out why I was paying for an Internet forum. I would have never considered it a competitor to LuLu even when it still had a lot of members and discussion. Some of their site, such as the podcasts, is still free the last I checked if anyone really has to know about the latest Nikon product. Personally, I get much more value out of the videos I buy here, as well as the articles I read, than I ever got out of Nikonians. Perhaps they have more to offer since they went to all paid membership.
-
Nikongear.com has quite some good stuff in the public nature and places sections, look for Carolyns BW landscapes or Fred Nirques rain forest panos.
For subscribers ($) the PJ/Street section has quite a few interesting contributors.
Bjørn Rørslett of naturfotograf.com is moving his site with all the Nikon tech reviews to nikongear.com in the subscriber section.
cheers
afx
(Disclosure: I am a moderator at Nikongear.com)
-
The Nikonians is an interesting site for Nikon users but goes out of it's way to stifle any interesting debate. Alternative views seem to come under the scrutiny of the moderators pretty quickly. A lot of the members here wouldn't last long. BTW it is a fee paying site.
+1
I stoppped visiting when they got it into their heads that someone would pay to read an internet forum. Before that I had quite a few run-ins with the moderators after I voiced some fairly innocuous opinions, so I was not too sorry to cut them loose.
-
+1
I stoppped visiting when they got it into their heads that someone would pay to read an internet forum. Before that I had quite a few run-ins with the moderators after I voiced some fairly innocuous opinions, so I was not too sorry to cut them loose.
I am not against paying. But having to think twice about posting a reasonable opinion which would be deemed as no problem in another forum is frustrating. The Moderators seem to nit pick and just when a thread does get interesting then it is closed. If they allowed the same latitude as is here then IMO the would prosper because the are "professional" site with regards to their operation.
-
Nikongear.com has quite some good stuff in the public nature and places sections, look for Carolyns BW landscapes or Fred Nirques rain forest panos.
For subscribers ($) the PJ/Street section has quite a few interesting contributors.
Bjørn Rørslett of naturfotograf.com is moving his site with all the Nikon tech reviews to nikongear.com in the subscriber section.
cheers
afx
(Disclosure: I am a moderator at Nikongear.com)
Just had a look and I see you have to subscribe just to look at the forum. Therefore you can't see the value of the forum without paying.
A lot of paying sites will you a preview without paying such as 30 days. A definite barrier.
-
The sites that compete for my attention other than LuLa:
1. The Online Photographer
2. Nikongear
3. Leica Users Forum
4. Diglloyd
5. Thom Hogan
Like many others here I dropped Nikonians several years ago as it simply didn't offer much (IMO). And yes, two of my favorite sites are pay sites - I don't have a problem with that as long as the content justifies the expense.
-
For subscribers ($) the PJ/Street section has quite a few interesting contributors.
Bjørn Rørslett of naturfotograf.com is moving his site with all the Nikon tech reviews to nikongear.com in the subscriber section.
afx
(Disclosure: I am a moderator at Nikongear.com)
That's a strange mindset, there! I used to enjoy his site many years ago, and still have it in the Favourites list; however, he abandoned doing anything new with it some time ago, leaving only a picture of his skin and a bug to greet me, and the old reviews/reports. What a shame.
So far, the only site to which I'd pay a membership subscription is this one, LuLa. Why? Because over the years, I've become rather fond of some of the characters I've conversed with in this little cyberworld... which seems an appropriate time at which to wish you all a happy and prosperous 2012! Which I do.
Rob C
-
So far, the only site to which I'd pay a membership subscription is this one, LuLa. Why? Because over the years, I've become rather fond of some of the characters I've conversed with in this little cyberworld... which seems an appropriate time at which to wish you all a happy and prosperous 2012! Which I do.
I feel exactly the same. Happy New Year.
Jeremy
-
I feel exactly the same. Happy New Year.
Jeremy
And I'll have to try to tease Russ just a little again by saying "+1" to both Rob and Jeremy, and wishing you all a great 2012.
Eric
-
I have looked at this site for 10 years or so and learned much. However, of late this site has begun to irritate me and the general 'waft of wealth' becomes increasingly tiresome. The latest debacle, namely the 'everthing matters' fiasco has finally brought matters to a clinch for me and I now realise that this site is not for the likes of me ...a APS-C user trying to get the best out of my modest equipement. This site is for wealthy retirees posing as pro photgraphers and pushing digital backs that cost more than a decent car as a minimum level of their photgraphic worth.....the rest of us presumably should simply 'chuck it' and take up flower arranging......
.........so, I will be spending more time at this site; http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/
Although Sean Mchugh started the site while a student at Cambridge University the excellent quality of his photo work and his clear thinking and advice has seen the stature of 'Cin C' elevate up to (and in my opinion ) beyond that of 'LL'. Although it does not have the 'waft of wealth' Cambridge in Colour' is very much a British flavour and a more cultured tone which I have come to much prefer.
-
Have to say that I can't agree with this post.
Any photographer should be able to get a lot out of LuLa no matter what equipment one uses.
Accusations of snobbery should probably only be levelled at those one knows personally.
Moreover reading the posts leaves no-one in any doubt as to the diversity of opinions available on this forum.
Regards
Tony Jay
-
Yes, you are quite right;..Any photographer should be able to get a lot out of LuLa no matter what equipment one uses.... Perhaps the site owners should address themselves thus....
The 'everything matters' has struck a chord with teh general viewers of this site,...it's not that there are breathtaking images here either. Take a look at Cambridge in Colour and make your own comparisons.
-
2 sites that I visit almost as often as this one are: bythom (/sansmirror) and dpreview.
Bythom has good content but is not updated that often, dpreview has more technical stuff (I did participate recently in one of their challenges though ;) ) but the forum can be a good source of information if you can filter through the numerous posts.
-
I've checked out several, but at the end of the day I always come back to the conclusion that most everything else I've found is slumming. There, it's been said: put that into your little "waft of wealth" shoebox and feel happy. Happy, but mistaken. Retired, yes; rich as you'd love to hate, no; ex-professional, yes.
Note that I do not claim to be the world's top surfer, neither on water nor in cyberspace. The other sites that I do visit these days do not indulge in chat; they supply information, or are simply other photographers' sites. In how many places do you need to hold a computer conversation, and how many people do you feel obliged to 'know' or with whom to do it?
Rob C
-
I have looked at this site for 10 years or so and learned much. However, of late this site has begun to irritate me and the general 'waft of wealth' becomes increasingly tiresome. The latest debacle, namely the 'everthing matters' fiasco has finally brought matters to a clinch for me and I now realise that this site is not for the likes of me ...a APS-C user trying to get the best out of my modest equipement. This site is for wealthy retirees posing as pro photgraphers and pushing digital backs that cost more than a decent car as a minimum level of their photgraphic worth.....the rest of us presumably should simply 'chuck it' and take up flower arranging......
.........so, I will be spending more time at this site; http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/
Although Sean Mchugh started the site while a student at Cambridge University the excellent quality of his photo work and his clear thinking and advice has seen the stature of 'Cin C' elevate up to (and in my opinion ) beyond that of 'LL'. Although it does not have the 'waft of wealth' Cambridge in Colour' is very much a British flavour and a more cultured tone which I have come to much prefer.
I agree that cambrigeincolour is superior. It is the first place I send new photographers to learn the basics...and then I send them back to learn the advanced theories of digital photography. I return frequently to refresh my memory about the details of sensors, lenses, and optical concepts.
Unfortunately, I must agree about trend towards wealth and exclusivity at LL. This factor has taken me from a daily visitor several years ago to a weekly visitor. I tend to not read many of the contributed articles because they aren't as well-thought-out and artistically mature as the ones that Michael was writing a few years ago.
I always thought earthbound light was a good site that provided good, applied hands-on tutorials.
While not traditionally associated with landscape photography, the strobist is another really good, hands-on and applied site.
-
Unfortunately, I must agree about trend towards wealth and exclusivity at LL. This factor has taken me from a daily visitor several years ago to a weekly visitor.
I really wonder if there are two LuLas; I have never felt any of the above, and not being particularly well-off, I suspect my impoverished antennae would be prickling briskly were I feeling snubbed or talked down to in any way...
This may be a reference to those who own DMF; if it is, then how sad is that? Or is it the M9 ownership that rankles? If either is the case, or if a feeling of being less than rich is how one's senses perceive being here, then it's time to grow up: every millionaire has a neighbour with more. It strikes me as an extension of the dreaded left-wing malaise that's so common in Britain but that, in general, I seldom meet anywhere else. Of course, it could be the wider sense of anti-Americanism that infuses much of Europe (short effing memories, here; suspicious new political bed arrangements, too) and that becomes something that's confused even further with the Hollywood products that we all see everyday on our tv sets... who knows, who cares - I just hate envy, probably the ugliest of emotions.
Short of getting hoofed out, I will remain here as long as those whose chat and pictures I enjoy remain too, rich or poor.
Rob C