Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Dinarius on November 29, 2011, 10:48:25 am
-
Photoshop CS5 - Epson R2400
First off, I hardly ever print and when I do it's usually using Oyster Permajet, which works just fine.
I'm trying to put together a few prints for a submission and I want to use the large A3 Photo Rag Baryta.
Edit/Color Settings is set to RGB: Adobe RGB.
All my files are saved to Adobe RGB/TIFF.
So, I do the following.
1. Open file
2. Duplicate Image
3. Copy Layer of file to be edited.
4. Choose View/Proof Setup/Custom and choose PRBaryta from the dropdown menu.
First thing I notice is that the image doesn't go dark like I remember it did the last time I use this profile? The difference between the two files on the screen is not that great. I guess I've changed something but what?
Any ideas?
Just for the sake of completeness: in the Print dialog, in the right pane, I have chosen, Document/Photoshop Manages Colors/PRBaryta from the drop down menu/Perceptual/Black Point Compensation.
In Print Settings I have chosen Main/Best Photo. In Print Settings/Advanced, I have chosen ICM and ticked the box No Colour Management.
Anything else I should be checking?
Thanks.
D.
-
I'm unclear - are you getting dark prints? You don't really say.
I agree with the previous poster, you should check that you have selected "simulate paper colour". Without it, you may see little difference between the soft proof and the original, especially with a paper like that.
-
Thanks for the very prompt replies.
Yes, I hadn't checked Simulate Paper Color, and yes, it makes a difference. But, not as much as I'd expected.
Apologies for the confusion, but yes, I am getting dark prints.
I have printed with Pearl in the past and, while they can be a bit darker than proofed, they're not as dark as the Baryta.
Anything else I might have missed out on?
Thanks again.
D.
Ps. Any recommendations on rendering intent with Baryta?
-
Suggested reading:
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/My_Printer_Is_Too_Dark
-
Your monitor is probably too bright. Here's my two blog entries on the subject:
http://www.danecreek.com/blog/2010/02/17/monitor-brightness-and-dark-prints.html
http://www.danecreek.com/blog/2010/05/10/monitor-brightness-and-dark-prints-part-2.html
Neil
-
Thanks for the link. Interesting reading.
My monitor is calibrated to 130 luminance, for what it's worth.
D.
-
Yeah, that's pretty bright.
Neil
-
Ok. Will drop it back a bit.
I notice too that when I open the print dialog, the window gives a more accurate rendition of how the final print will look. That is to say, it will be darker than the window I've just edited.
Off to recalibrate...... ;)
D.
-
Dinarius - just one more thing to check. In the step where you select 'Main/Best Photo', are you also selecting a paper type which is appropriate?
-
John,
I've chosen Premium Glossy Photo Paper for the Photo Rag Baryta.
I recalibrated to 110 and it has made a big difference, as has the discussion of histograms in the link posted above by Neil. (Thanks Neil!)
Really getting there now.
The problem is, I do so little printing, the next time I do it I'll have forgotten everything!
D.
-
I have had to calibrate mine to 90 luminance using the Advanced choice with the X-Rite Colormunki Photo.
-
An easy way to help you remember everyone's suggestions, is to make a few notes of what worked for you and either tape them to the top of the box of photo paper or place them inside the box so they are there next time you print.