Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: trainzman on November 26, 2011, 01:21:11 pm

Title: old film
Post by: trainzman on November 26, 2011, 01:21:11 pm
Slightly off-topic, digital that is, but is there any value in old unused film besides nostalgia? I came across some boxes of old ER 135, PX 135, FX 135, EL 135 and HIE 135 while cleaning some dusty corners. They all have expiration dates almost 30 yr ago, i.e 1981 - 1983.

I guess I could always display them in my curio cabinet to show what it was used back in the day.
Title: Re: old film
Post by: Rob C on November 26, 2011, 04:36:54 pm
Ektachrome 120............................... 20 roll pack
FP4 135 ......................................... 13 36 exp. cassettes
XP2 400 ......................................... 2 36 exp. cassettes
HP5 135 ......................................... 10 36 exp. cassettes
Velvia 135....................................... 2 36 exp. cassettes
Ektachrome E100S ........................... 15 36 exp. cassettes
Kodachrome 200  135........................ ? a few
Kodachrome 64 Pro 135.......................? a lot!

I can't easily verify the Kodachromes because the damned freezer is no longer self-defrosting and I can't pull the film drawer open; the paper list I made a while ago only lists the films other than Kodachrome because I didn't include them when Kodak abandoned the process...

Shall we try to start a photo museum together?

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: old film
Post by: feppe on November 26, 2011, 08:32:36 pm
Old film is perfect for lomography.
Title: Re: old film
Post by: Rob C on November 27, 2011, 10:34:19 am
Old film is perfect for lomography.



Lomography? Like that; here in Spain it could be taken to mean drawing with pork loin, as you probably know already...

Funny old world.

Rob C
Title: Re: old film
Post by: louoates on November 27, 2011, 11:42:12 am
I imagine they would make good props with old camera displays. After Christmas some folks would try to return them to Walmart.
Title: Re: old film
Post by: feppe on November 27, 2011, 04:28:08 pm
Lomography? Like that; here in Spain it could be taken to mean drawing with pork loin, as you probably know already...

Funny old world.

lol

Lomography is a rather popular discipline, just go to Flickr  (http://www.flickr.com/groups/lomo/)and check it out.
Title: Re: old film
Post by: Rob C on November 28, 2011, 02:08:48 pm
Will that make my old films more valuable, then, the style being popular and all that? Just in case, I won't switch off their life support just yet!

Rob C
Title: Re: old film
Post by: Steve House on November 28, 2011, 02:54:32 pm
I'm starting to notice a resurgence of interest in a 'hybrid' workflow, ie, shooting on film, followed by a high-quality scan after development, then editing and printing digitally.