Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: pflower on November 19, 2011, 02:03:24 pm

Title: Re-naming Virtual Copies
Post by: pflower on November 19, 2011, 02:03:24 pm
I think I saw someone mention that it is possible to "re-name" virtual copies.  When you create a virtual copy it automatically takes the file name and then appends "Copy 1" afterwards.  Is it possible to rename this to something more meaningful - i.e. cropped to A4, B&W Split Toned, B&W Neutral etc.?

I can't work this out and a search on this site and LR help hasn't revealed anything.  Maybe you can't do it?

Any thoughts

Thanks
Title: Re: Re-naming Virtual Copies
Post by: john beardsworth on November 19, 2011, 02:06:02 pm
In Metadata panel, switch to Quick Describe or Default and you'll see a Copy Name field which you can edit.
Title: Re: Re-naming Virtual Copies
Post by: howardm on November 19, 2011, 02:26:36 pm
cool, I didn't know that.

I use 'Big Note' or something else to put that sort of information about processing differences into the VC
Title: Re: Re-naming Virtual Copies
Post by: john beardsworth on November 19, 2011, 02:31:13 pm
Big Note being at http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/big-note/ and not just for VCs.

The great thing about using the Copy Name field in the way the OP wants is that you can then using smart collections and target the Copy Name. So you might have a smart collection that finds all VCs with "sepia" in the copy name.

John
Title: Re: Re-naming Virtual Copies
Post by: aduke on November 19, 2011, 03:24:34 pm
Also, you can set the rename field in export, if not also the edit preferences, to include the copy name in the exported file name.

Alan