Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: texshooter on November 15, 2011, 12:38:18 pm

Title: Wax = Destruction
Post by: texshooter on November 15, 2011, 12:38:18 pm
I read how some use Renaissance Wax on their prints, so I tried it. I must be missing something because the wax disolved the ink off the paper. I tried it on RC paper, baryta paper, and matte paper. All the same.

What gives?
Title: Re: Wax = Destruction
Post by: John Nollendorfs on November 15, 2011, 12:39:46 pm
which printer?
Title: Re: Wax = Destruction
Post by: texshooter on November 15, 2011, 12:46:41 pm
Epson 3800
Title: Re: Wax = Destruction
Post by: AFairley on November 15, 2011, 12:54:01 pm
Yikes, I had been thinking about spending the $$ for a jar and trying it out on my 3800 prints.
Title: Re: Wax = Destruction
Post by: Tim Lookingbill on November 15, 2011, 02:03:05 pm
Interesting. Never heard of Renaissance Wax or anything similar to coat an inkjet print.

This wiki link about formulation mentioning it's refined from crude oil may point to a clue...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax#Formulation
Title: Re: Wax = Destruction
Post by: sertsa on November 15, 2011, 02:24:41 pm
Have heard of people using beeswax, haven't tried it myself.  Seems like any wax containing a solvent would lift the ink.
Title: Re: Wax = Destruction
Post by: texshooter on November 15, 2011, 04:15:01 pm
As an alternative to wax, I just tried Krylon Gloss Preserve It spray and am pleased. I have always hated super glossy RC paper--not because of the glossiness but because of the acrylic look. After spraying the canned varnish on the RC paper it totaly eliminates the plastic acrylic look and replaces it with a clear nail polish look. Very glossy but nothing like what I expected.
Title: Re: Wax = Destruction
Post by: Light Seeker on November 15, 2011, 04:25:03 pm
I read how some use Renaissance Wax on their prints, so I tried it. I must be missing something because the wax disolved the ink off the paper. I tried it on RC paper, baryta paper, and matte paper. All the same.

I have coated 3800 prints made on Jon Cone Type 5, a baryta paper, with Renaissance Wax and a year later they are still fine. When I tried the same on a matte paper, Canson Rag Photographique I believe, the ink smudged. I have also used Renaissance Wax to coat a black and white print made using Cone Selenium Piezography inks on Type 5 and that worked fine as well.

Terry.
Title: Re: Wax = Destruction
Post by: EricWHiss on November 15, 2011, 09:31:52 pm
I've used this product successfully on media printed on both epson 7600 and HP z3200 printers.  It works fine, but always good to test.  I have prints here that were coated 5-6 years ago that look fine.... who knows for the long run.    I don't use it much anymore since I don't need it for deeper blacks....
Title: Re: Wax = Destruction
Post by: pflower on November 16, 2011, 08:26:59 am
Curious,

I just tried some on 2 prints made on a 3880 on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.  No smudging of ink there. How long are you leaving the prints to dry?  Could that be a factor?
Title: Re: Wax = Not Destruction
Post by: PatrickAllen on November 17, 2011, 12:28:56 pm
I have started using Renaissance wax on inkjet prints from the 3800 and 9900. I have tried it on Ilford Smooth Pearl, Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta, and Harman Gloss Baryta with no problems. I am buffing it on with a cotton t-shirt and when its done you do not even see that it is there but it does protect from minor scratches and surface abrasions. I have also tried it on matte paper and this does not work...so far. The paper absorbs the wax so I can't get an even coat. I am not sure why your ink is dissolving when you are applying it. Make sure the inks are fully cured. After I wax there is a very small bit of ink on the cloth but it is not smearing or degrading the quality of the print.

Best,
Patrick Allen
http://www.KenAllenStudios.com (http://www.KenAllenStudios.com)
http://www.PatrickAllenPhotography.com (http://www.PatrickAllenPhotography.com)
Title: Re: Wax = Destruction
Post by: texshooter on November 17, 2011, 07:02:35 pm
maybe im applying too much or buffing too hard but if ink is left on the cotton ball, thats unacceptable to me. to add insult to injury, the wax does not improve the look of the print.  i much prefer gloss varnish spray because that gives a nice wet look.  i plan on experimenting with roll on varnish to compare to the spray.