Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: davidh202 on November 11, 2011, 09:57:58 pm

Title: Panorama stitch Problem
Post by: davidh202 on November 11, 2011, 09:57:58 pm
  I've been trying to stitch together a 4 image pano that I shot today for a restoration.
I shot  with a Olympus E-3 and the Zuiko ED14-35mm F/2.
 When doing the photomerge in CS5 I continue to get nothing but a skewed up result !(see pics).

I have done this many times before with the same kit and have had excellant results,but this time I had to manually stitch the files and the use the auto blend mode to smooth the seams and continue from there with the rest of the work.

I'm really stumped as to why I had this problem this time.
 Since I shot in monochrome and there are many areas of similar tonality, is it possible I didn't allow enough overlap for PS to analyze the content correctly?
Thanks in advance,
David
Title: Re: Panorama stitch Problem
Post by: wolfnowl on November 12, 2011, 01:28:05 am
No answer, I'm afraid, but I can definitely relate: http://www.wolfnowl.com/2010/05/panoramic-photography-and-stitching-errors/

Mike.
Title: Re: Panorama stitch Problem
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 12, 2011, 02:52:25 am
This isn't really an answer, but why don't you try a different stitching program? Autopano Pro and PTGui are often recommended: I've only used the former, which I find pretty good (better, in my hands anyway, and easier to use than PS). It will at least give you some indication if your frames are stitchable (automatically) at all.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Panorama stitch Problem
Post by: Oldfox on November 12, 2011, 03:15:18 am
I think the problem is that Photoshop does not know the fov or focal length used. The source images seem to be old prints.

I tried with Photoshop's autoalign layers. The blacks stripes should be removed of course.
I also use Ptgui. Ptgui needs to know focal length and crop factor. I used 50mm and 1 (full frame).
You would probably get better results with bigger source images and tweaking with the focal length.

/fox
Title: Re: Panorama stitch Problem
Post by: Peter McLennan on November 12, 2011, 02:14:12 pm
I find that "cylindrical" stitching works better than "auto" when using wide lenses and Photoshop's stitcher.  In fact, I nearly never use "auto".

I can successfully stitch hand-held panos of 180 degrees with my 12mm lens if I keep the horizon level and provide lots of overlap.