Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: joedecker on November 10, 2011, 06:28:05 pm

Title: 3880 noise, new printer, not sure if this is normal
Post by: joedecker on November 10, 2011, 06:28:05 pm
I have a new Epson 3880, very impressed with the out of the box performance with Epson's luster paper and ink.

I do notice, with the 13x19 epson luster, top feed, that there's a kinda plastic/ratchet sort of sound as the paper advances maybe a bit before?).  I don't notice that sound at all when printing on 8.5x11 paper.  I haven't spotted print defects that would indicate a platen gap problem, nor did changing the platen gap from auto to wide seem to change behavior.

Any chance that sound is normal?  Any specific things I should be looking for if it's not?
Title: Re: 3880 noise, new printer, not sure if this is normal
Post by: joedecker on November 10, 2011, 06:29:41 pm
It's possible I didn't do the Platen Gap experiment correctly.
Title: Re: 3880 noise, new printer, not sure if this is normal
Post by: joedecker on November 10, 2011, 10:32:03 pm
Okay, I think it's just a sound coming from the ribbon cable going through a clip (the ribbon cable to the print head), and appears harmless.  As you were. :)