Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: david3558 on November 07, 2011, 09:53:56 am

Title: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: david3558 on November 07, 2011, 09:53:56 am
Hi everyone,

I think it's time that I accept the 'awesomeness' of Medium Format. I've been shooting 35mm for quite a while and a friend recently scanned his MF negatives at my house (or at school, I don't remember) - anyhow, the resolution was unbelievable!

I do black and white developing/scanning on my own, and I generally shoot black and white 75% of the time. I'd like to find a camera that is versatile enough to be used in various situations. I recently acquired a Rolleiflex 2.8E but the high costs of maintenance made me not want to use the camera and I'd like to find something else. As a rangefinder user myself in the 35mm world, I was recommended the Mamiya 7II, but the kits are just way too out of my price range at this point. I think I'd like to stay with a budget of $800 (with a bit of flexibility, but not much...after all I'm a student!)

So the bottom line is, I'm looking for a medium format camera that can remain relatively versatile, would complement my Leica M, stay under $800 and be easy to operate and have lower maintenance.

Options I have in mind are:
Hasselblad 500c or 500cm [seems to be around high 600's to lower 800's for a kit]
Mamiya C330 [seems to be around high 300's to lower 500's for a kit]

Thanks so much in advance, I'm still trying to learn more!

David
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: theguywitha645d on November 07, 2011, 10:34:53 am
Both the cameras you list will be great for you.

If you are looking for a rangefinder there is also a Mamiya 6 and 6MF, Bronica RF645, and a host of Fuji cameras from 6x4.5 to 6x9. The Fujis have fixed lenses, but if you have shot with rangefinders before, you know that lens choice is not the biggest incentive.

You could also look at Bronica SLRs. They have 6X4.5, 6x6, and 6x7. Bronica will be less as it is out of business.

If you want an eye-level SLR, then the Pentax 645, 645N, 645NII, 67, and 6x7 are also very good cameras.

Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: amsp on November 07, 2011, 11:13:05 am
All good suggestions above. There's also Mamiya 645 Pro and RB/RZ 67 to consider, both very nice and cheap systems.

Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: ced on November 07, 2011, 11:59:07 am
David if you can find a Blad in good condition for that price go for that as you won't loose much if ever you want to get rid of it one day.
Do put a test roll of B&W film through it to be on the safe side.  All old Blad gear can be checked for date of manufacture using the key below:
V   H   P   I   C   T   U   R   E   S
1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   0

Good luck with your studies!
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: ndevlin on November 08, 2011, 01:30:58 pm
Can you really go wrong with a classic 'blad?  I don't think so.  If you're a RF guy, then get a Mamiya 6. Otherwise, a 500c/m with an 80mm and a 150mm.  Perhaps the best camera ever made.

- N.
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: marcmccalmont on November 08, 2011, 02:26:39 pm
I just posted under "for sale" a brand new Mamiya 645 Pro, Grip, film backs and 80mm lens
Marc
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: ondebanks on November 08, 2011, 05:25:01 pm
Can you really go wrong with a classic 'blad?  I don't think so.  If you're a RF guy, then get a Mamiya 6. Otherwise, a 500c/m with an 80mm and a 150mm.  Perhaps the best camera ever made.

- N.

I'm going to be contrary and say that I respectfully disagree. Take away the Zeiss lenses, and the 500c/m is a very pretty, but very ordinary box. For heaven's sake, it doesn't even have an instant-return mirror!

If you want a far more user friendly, nicely featured camera (with luxuries like built-in motor drive and shutter speed increments to 30 seconds, and unheard-of-by-Hasselblad built-in light metering and AE!), with the very same Zeiss lenses and the very same 6x6 SLR paradigm, look for a Rollei: SLX (all-black model), 6006, 6003, or (if you can stretch a bit more) 6008. Replace the tired NiCd cells with new NiMh ones (our Chinese ebay friends to the rescue again) and you're good to go.

I'm also a big fan of the various older Mamiya 645 models, but you seem set on a 6x6 unit so I'll park that idea.

Ray
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: ndevlin on November 08, 2011, 08:15:27 pm

I hear you, but I think the basicness of the 500 c/m might be what the OP is after. It brings you really close to the physicality of photography.  And the lenses are so yummy!
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: bcooter on November 09, 2011, 02:48:28 am
I hear you, but I think the basicness of the 500 c/m might be what the OP is after. It brings you really close to the physicality of photography.  And the lenses are so yummy!

I'd do a Contax.  I'm bias cause I love my Contax' but if your going to move up to digital they are the only system with a digital interface, accepts almost any back and has a right angle grip, detachable finder and they have tight sharp zeiss glass, most of it very fast.

Also you can slap on a film back anytime you want.

The only downside is used or even new digital backs get a little harder to find, though they are out there.

IMO

BC
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: JV on November 09, 2011, 07:38:10 am
You won't find a Contax though within the price range of $600-800 set by the OP... 

Within that price range the Hasselblad 500C(M) makes most sense IMO. 

The Mamiya RZ67 is equally good, excellent glass, but not so convenient to carry around.
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: Dennis Carbo on November 09, 2011, 11:11:31 am
+1 for the Rollei 6000 series
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: UlfKrentz on November 10, 2011, 11:22:29 am
+1 for the RZ. You´ll find them very cheap, may be the best bang for the buck. Also the bigger negative size of 6x7 will give you more MF than a 6x6 sized camera, especially when you don´t intend to photograph squares. Though we mainly work with a H2 these days, we kept the RZ for the rotating back and the rail focus for closeup beauty work.

Cheers, Ulf
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: mmurph on November 10, 2011, 02:24:43 pm
Or the Mamiya 645 AD.  Not a lot bigger than 35mm.  But a good kit to invest in if you ever get a digital back, and you can get the basic system with 80mm, and possibly a zoom, at your price point.  

Nice, solid camera, decent lens can be found pretty cheap - especially manual focus. Sort of "the basic" 645 standard.  I bought one when I sold most of my other film equipment, "just in case" I needed film for a project.

When I used my Mamiya 7II rangefinders almost exclusively, it was nice to have an SLR available when the need arose.  As a student you never know where the next project will lead. Also nice to have automation for some things at times - auto focus, auto wind - and a bit cheaper to run 645 than 6x6 or 6x7. 

I enjoyed teh feel of moving from the all manual, slow, studious Mamiya 7II rangefinder to a "point and shoot" autofocus, autoexposure 645 in the middle of a shoot(Pentax 645N at the time.) Opens up your style a bit to switch tools sometimes.

Good luck, have fun - try them all when you get a chance! They are all fun!

Best, michael
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: John R Smith on November 11, 2011, 04:55:09 am
Well . . .

I really don't understand what's so wrong about the Rollei 2.8E you already have. Lovely camera, great lens, with a build quality to die for. I used a 2.8F for years and I wish I hadn't sold it.

John
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: Dick Roadnight on December 10, 2011, 05:50:24 am
I was very glad to get rid of my C330 in the late 1970s, but the awful colour might not be a problem if you mostly do monochrome.

The Mamiya 67s were no better.

Try a Blad.
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: Rob C on December 10, 2011, 06:33:51 am
The only reason I had a Mamiya C33 (or some code like that) was because I couldn't afford Hasselblad at the time. It sucked, especially with the longer lens which was all I had it for; the accompanying Rollei T I had was a dream in comparison.. However, the 180mm was a  beauty. Once you've had slr you won't want, ever, to mess with parallax problems again in your life. Unless somebody offers you an M9.

I wouldn't worry much about the argument of 6x6 v. 6x7 either. In my first experience of the latter, a Bronica GS (?), and with a second venture with the then new Pentax 67 11, it was a doubtful advantage as I found the edges of both systems pretty awful. Worse, with the Pentax, the shutter always bounced as much, at least, as the mirror, so MU solved nothing.

In comparison, I loved my 500C and 500CM where MU did work and the shutters were pretty smoooooooth. Anyway, the two were objects of beauty in their own rights!

Rob C
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: hasselbladfan on December 17, 2011, 04:52:43 am
I would vote for the CM.

Moreover, if you ever move to the H series, you can still use all the old CF lenses.

Good luck.
Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: grhazelton on January 21, 2012, 04:03:40 pm
Both the cameras you list will be great for you.

If you are looking for a rangefinder there is also a Mamiya 6 and 6MF, Bronica RF645, and a host of Fuji cameras from 6x4.5 to 6x9. The Fujis have fixed lenses, but if you have shot with rangefinders before, you know that lens choice is not the biggest incentive.

You could also look at Bronica SLRs. They have 6X4.5, 6x6, and 6x7. Bronica will be less as it is out of business.

If you want an eye-level SLR, then the Pentax 645, 645N, 645NII, 67, and 6x7 are also very good cameras.



The problem with buying any Pentax 645 is that lenses have become VERY expensive, since they will mount on the 645D.  For example, I bought a new old stock 35mm in March for $550, KEH currently lists one in E condition for about $1000.

That said the 645 is a delightful camera.  Should you take the plunge I'd recommend the 645n or 645nii.  The n is a full redesign of the 645.  See Ken Rockwell's site.  It handles much like a big 35mm SLR, very intuitive, no drilling down through menus.  It also imprints f stop and shutter speed on the film.  The 645nii adds mirror lock up (not really needed) some customization of default settings, and imprints the lens used on the film, which would be nice.  It is, however, considerably more expensive and harder to find on the used market.

Title: Re: Suggested first medium format camera?
Post by: fotometria gr on January 21, 2012, 06:32:12 pm
Reliable film only MF for a student eeeh...? Go ahead for a Bronica Etrsi son, for the amount you've got to spend, you'll get your shelf a body with grip, 4-5 lenses of really good quality (make sure they are PE series), 3-4 backs, at least a couple of viewfinders and some screens! You'll get 1/500 leaf shutter flash-sync and 90% of the performance of the Zeiss, but you WILL get that shot that the 'Blad would possibly miss... Great school..., take the advice of a teacher! Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr
  P.S. I used to shoot weddings with this during the '80s (ETR & ETRS with the MC's), my first MF at your age..., I am sorry I've sold it when I changed to Contax after 2000..., I should have kept this one!