Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Motion & Video => Topic started by: KevinA on November 07, 2011, 06:10:30 am

Title: After effects or ?
Post by: KevinA on November 07, 2011, 06:10:30 am
Looking for the best solution for stabilisation, I have played with After Effects on the trial, what else should I look at and how does the stabilisation results in FCP X compare with third party solutions?

Thanks,

Kevin.
Title: Re: After effects or ?
Post by: fredjeang on November 07, 2011, 06:18:51 am
Here: http://vicon.com/boujou/index.html

In general, for optimum results you need to look for 3D stabs.
Title: Re: After effects or ?
Post by: KevinA on November 07, 2011, 07:30:14 am
Here: http://vicon.com/boujou/index.html

In general, for optimum results you need to look for 3D stabs.

Ouch! the price.

Kevin.
Title: Re: After effects or ?
Post by: fredjeang on November 07, 2011, 08:35:18 am
Yeah!

I got a 3D stab integrated in Nuke but I have not learned it yet.  Nuke is not cheap either. To my knowledge, there is no real cheap reliable solution for that, what's available on affordable plug-ins are very fast limited. But maybe there is a powerfull solution at reasonable cost I ignore.

If I understand you're into aerial. If some users know affordable solutions that can deliver professional results, I'd like too know it too.
Title: Re: After effects or ?
Post by: keithrsmith on November 07, 2011, 09:13:02 am
try Prodad Mercalli
http://www.prodad.com/home/products/videostabilizing/300391667,l-us.xhtml

keith
Title: Re: After effects or ?
Post by: fredjeang on November 07, 2011, 09:26:15 am
I have one in Premiere Pro as a plug-in. It's ok, not bad but not really suitable for every situation. It's aimed to consumer market and has some limitations.

The default Avid Media composer 5 is pretty good actually.

Title: Re: After effects or ?
Post by: bjammin on November 07, 2011, 03:20:36 pm
After using Apple Motion, Final Cut Pro X and After Effects, I'd say After Effects wins (at least right now) in the stabilization department.  It does a good job on rolling shutter, shakes, bumps, and pretty much everything I've thrown at it.

We'll see if other developers wish to rise to the challenge.
Title: Re: After effects or ?
Post by: KevinA on November 09, 2011, 06:57:07 pm
AE is on it's way, I just ordered it. A reason I went for AE is that there looks to  be a good range of Plugins, I know they work with other programs too. I just get the impression AE is a good core product which has great support and training online and sells in enough volume to keep third party designers wanting to add to the capability.Know I need to lock myself away now to get into a AE state of mind.
Time will tell.

Thanks all.

Kevin.
Title: Re: After effects or ?
Post by: joofa on November 10, 2011, 12:10:44 am
Ouch! the price.

Kevin.

I got SynthEyes (http://ssontech.com/) for $499. I think it has an image stablizer built in. Can also export motion data to After Effects, among various other graphical packages.

Joofa
Title: Re: After effects or ?
Post by: Sareesh Sudhakaran on November 24, 2011, 02:59:38 am
Know I need to lock myself away now to get into a AE state of mind.
Time will tell.

AE can do anything. It might take more time than the more expensive dudes, but it'll get there. If you're just starting out with it, may I recommend Andrew Kramer's free website: videcopilot?