Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Erik Petersson on October 30, 2011, 03:31:21 pm
-
Hello,
I'd like to ask a a couple of questions related to a monitor that I have been offered to buy for a good price. It is a Lacie 320, second hand from 2007. How do such monitors age? Should it be safe to buy a 4-5 years old piece of equipment? How do I check it?
Also, it comes without a calibrator. Can i use any calibrator, or do I have to buy a certain kind?
Currently I am using a 7 year old monitor that was never intended to for photography. It does not look very good.
I will be grateful for any advice, thanks a lot in ahead!
with best regards
Erik Petersson
Stockholm
-
Would definitely advise against buying old LCDs monitors (see here for recent anecdotal evidence http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=57144.0) While LCD monitors are, on average, reliable - I still have 2003 models in operation at the office - there's visible improvement with each generation. At the side of more recent monitors, they are dull and slow.
-
Thanks for the advice. My choice will be to either buy this monitor used and rather cheap, or a new, much cheaper model.
-
Save your money and buy anything but a LaCie. Check out the latest from Dell and HP, they're got some decent monitors a pretty low prices.
-
Save your money and buy anything but a LaCie.
+1, not the old LaCie of past.
-
Someone recommended me to buy a NEC MultiSync - P221W instead. I will take a closer look at that. Not fully professional, but affordable.