Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: indusphoto on October 19, 2011, 06:57:19 pm

Title: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: indusphoto on October 19, 2011, 06:57:19 pm
Hello All

I came in possession of substantial quantity of Schoellershammer Linen paper (225gsm). I profiled it, and printed a couple of landscapes (Color and BW). I don't quite get it. The paper textures seems to be too obvious and distracting.

What would be some good applications for this paper?

Thanks
Title: Re: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: deanwork on October 19, 2011, 08:52:16 pm
absolutely nothin
Title: Re: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: Brian Gilkes on October 19, 2011, 10:16:23 pm
Absolutely nothing, except maybe for bottom of bird cage..
Title: Re: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 19, 2011, 11:28:41 pm
Maybe for making printed tablecloths?
Title: Re: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: Brian Gilkes on October 19, 2011, 11:45:09 pm
Absolutely nothing, except maybe for bottom of bird cage..
Title: Re: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on October 20, 2011, 03:45:05 am
The boxes of Schoellershammer paper No. 10 that I got from someone are at least usable. Whether the company still produces inkjet art papers is obscure though, it looks like there are old supplies in the market , the Schoellershammer website has no inkjet papers listed anymore.

Even for business cards the Linen would be too thin and it gives that wrong tactile experience. There must be someone happy to get some boxes as a present, someone with birds ?


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

330+ paper white spectral plots including the Canon US catalog:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Title: Re: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: framah on October 20, 2011, 09:59:14 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk)

A little musical interlude...
Title: Re: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: framah on October 20, 2011, 10:01:58 am
Maybe you could start shooting images of fabric and then print it on that... at least till the stuff is gone.
Title: Re: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: Deepsouth on October 20, 2011, 10:18:01 am
I agree that for photographic images linen just doesn't work. However, I have printed some hi-res scans of Japanese woodblock prints on linen paper (not the brand mentioned here) and the results were interesting, particularly if the grain was aligned with the orientation of the print. Since you have all this linen paper, I think it's worth a try before you consign it to the birdcage. ;D
Title: Re: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: davidh202 on October 20, 2011, 09:10:33 pm
hey framah,
those were my exact thoughts on both of your replies.
I guess great framers think alike   ;D ;D ::)
David
Title: Re: Linen Paper, what is it good for?
Post by: framah on October 23, 2011, 11:45:59 am
You betcha!! ;)