Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Sunny Alan on October 14, 2011, 09:23:59 pm
-
When I buy a new Epson 44", do I need to buy a third party RIP software (like 'Wasatch') to run and get better color prints apart from the software comes with the printer? ???
-
In most cases the answer to this would be no. Earlier generations, especially when printing black and white prints, really needed the assistance of a good RIP software like ImagePrint as an example. The significant improvements to Epson's driver technology has virtually eliminated the need for a RIP in terms of print quality.
In some cases a RIP still makes sense but more often than not it is in terms of work flow, nesting of images across the width of the media and auto mirroring for gallery wraps as a few examples.
My first suggestion is buy the printer first and put it through the paces. You can always purchase RIP software if needed.
Regards,
Gary
-
And if your looking for a layout program go with Qimage. $89 I think. Amazing program for doing this.
-
As an everyday user of the ImagePrint RIP on four LF Epson's, I would say: It depends.
If you want access to thousands of different profile and prints on many media, if you want to save paper and ink,
if you do a lot of b&w toning or have the need of a sophisticated queuing system, then I suggest investing in the IP RIP.
/Sven
-
I agree with Gary - start without and see if you decice you could benefit. Look for trial versions etc. Also, as an "in between" step from Driver and RIP, have a look at:
http://mirage.dinax.de/
Again, check out demo or trial versions and then decide if you find it useful.
-
read this, and make your own mind up:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/imageprint8.shtml
if you want it, look on eBay for a used IP8 software+dongle. there are sometimes copies on there for 44" printers.