Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Bsmooth on October 12, 2011, 12:46:40 pm
-
I know I had seen a tutorial here that I think was about contrast masking, but it also acted like a haze filter as well, but I can't find it now. The one I did see didn't say anything about a haze filter, but I was almost positive it said something about it.
I thought it involved something in Photoshop about using an inverse of something.
Does anyone have a recollection of this tutorial, I know not much to go on, but I thought the shot used was of a lake at dusk or dawn with the shoreline in the foreground.
-
I know I had seen a tutorial here that I think was about contrast masking, but it also acted like a haze filter as well
Perhaps this one: Understanding Local Contrast Enhancement (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast-enhancement.shtml)
-
I looked again at the Tutorials, and I think its one called Contrast masking. I used this years ago and found it to be invaluable. Now I'm wondering what would happen If I used it after switching to Lab Color and using it on the lightness channel. That way it wouldn't affect the color at all, as sometimes happens.
This is the tutorial btw http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast_masking.shtml
I only wish I could remember all of these, and I do, but when I don't shoot for awhile I forget all the processing and have to go back and rediscover it all over again. Sometimes I never find it again.
Too bad we can't just make one big giant action and put it in Photoshop, but each image is just different enough to prevent that.
-
... I used this years ago...
And that is the issue. Contrast masking is actually inherited from film days. Most of those digital techniques we used "years ago" are outdated by now, with all the progress made with RAW development software, e.g. Lightroom. It is so much easier with Recovery, Fill Light and Clarity, local adjustments and HSL controls.
-
You can accomplish a lot of haze removal by using the exposure adjustments for offset and gamma corrections.
The following articles have provided great guidance for me on the broader topics related to haze removal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqDRnmgEKTs&noredirect=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdTiWAaZRmw