Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Neil Folberg on October 08, 2011, 02:54:04 pm
-
Hi,
Can anyone say how this paper compares with Crane Museo Silver Rag - density, surface? I find the surface of the Hahn Baryta Photo Rag dull.
Thanks. Neil
-
No other Fibre/Baryta paper depends so much on fluorescents (OBAs) for its brightness as the HM Baryta FB. There is hardly any other whitening agent used but some at the red end. Its white shifts terribly in changing light. In general people think it has a magenta cast which is understandable as the green spectral reflectance drops to the level of plain cotton paper. I would not touch it with a barge pole ...... but I measured it with a spectrometer.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/tale.shtml
met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
-
Hello Ernts.
many thanks - you saved me a lot of trouble. What paper do you like best for the fiber based semi-gloss look?
Neil
-
Look into the Canson Platine paper
-
I've tried every one of these and that is the ugliest paper white I have ever seen in my life. I can't imagine who would use that stuff. Even Hahnemuhle couldn't tell me why is made with that pinkish-magenta cast. It is just really really odd.
The Harmon Baryta and the Harmon Baryta Warmtone are producing the most perfect gloss fiber I've ever seen and for me this is the result I've always looked for but could never find.Their first version of it was a little too glossy and rc looking, but now it has a great gelatin silver type of texture but without the over bluish brighteners of say the Innova Ultramooth and Epson Exhibition Fine Art that is deteriorating rapidly in the Aardenburg fade tests. The Harmon color gamut is better than any of the rc papers I use, as well as being sharper, and the bw is by far the smoothest with no bronzing at all on the Canon 8300. Neutral tone prints on that Harmon Warmtone are just fantastic for a pigment inkjet print.
I also like the Canson Platine and it's brightness is about halfway between the Harmon Baryta and the Harmon Baryta Warmtone. The Canson Baryta is nice and very similar if not identical to the Ilford Gallerie but on all my printers both have unacceptable bronzing for color and bw without spraying. In additon to that the Canson Baryta and Ilford scratch so easily I just don't use them anymore.
john
-
Canson Platine is excellent but, when I bought samples of all the the "luster" style papers and blind tested them with the same print, the two that repeatedly emerged were Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and good old Epson Exhibition Fiber. YMMV!
Jeff
-
Yea well "good ole" Exhibiton Fiber is going to have an explosive gamut (for awhile) because it is loaded with florescent dye brighteners. That is what gives it that disappointing (to many of us) bluish appearance under daylight. It also looks quite different under tungsten spotlights. But the main reason to avoid it is it poor fade tests. If it is going to be in a portfolio and you spray it with a uv spray it's ok for awhile, but don't put it in bright daylight for very long. Eventually this explosive bright white base is going to settle out to a dull gray and that will effect all your high value colors significantly. Wilhelm's tests are totally misleading. They don't even clearly monitor the white paper base ( as his tests of "Enhanced Matte" formerly "Archival Matte" made more than evident.)
The Ilford on the other hand is holding up quite well. And the Canon Platine has no oba.
j