Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: gkroeger on September 29, 2011, 08:29:34 pm

Title: PKS capture sharpening and resampling
Post by: gkroeger on September 29, 2011, 08:29:34 pm
I am using PKS2.0 to work on scanned 4x5 chromes.  I have only used it before with DSLR images.

The chromes were drum scanned to high resolutions, ~11,000 x 8500 pixels.

I will be downsampling these in PS5 to 360 ppi at several sizes (15"x20", 18"x24") for printing to an Epson 7800.

If I apply capture sharpening to the original resolution, won't the downsampling, even using "bicubic sharper", obliterate most
of the capture sharpening?  Should I instead apply capture sharpening at the final output resolution, followed by output sharpening
at that same resolution?

Glenn
Title: Re: PKS capture sharpening and resampling
Post by: Schewe on September 29, 2011, 09:56:55 pm
Personally, I would do the film based capture sharpening on the original master scans...yes, after downsampling (I would suggest Bicubic Sharper) the images will be "different"...and before any output you WILL need to do output sharpening.

If in doubt, test it both ways and see what works best for you...
Title: Re: PKS capture sharpening and resampling
Post by: gkroeger on September 29, 2011, 10:00:33 pm
Thanks for the advice Jeff!