Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mstevensphoto on September 25, 2011, 01:20:51 pm

Title: printing photo backdrops
Post by: mstevensphoto on September 25, 2011, 01:20:51 pm
Hi All,
    I've been collecting photos of textures and would like to print a handful of my own backdrops. I've got the ipf8300 so I'm assuming canvas will be the media of choice, but I don't know so I thought I'd throw it out for suggestion.
here's what I need:
  - inexpensive media, archival properties are not a concern, these will likely see 6-8 months of use before I'm bored with them.
  - something that can be rolled, unrolled and hung repeatedly without picking up scratches or other damage.
  - low reflectivity
  - preferably something that doesn't weigh a ton (this is a lesser concern)
  - no wrinkles

I already produce all of my own canvases so I'm kind of thinking I'll print canvas and spray it with a matte protectant of some flavor. Is anyone doing this? how are the results? what are you using?
Many thanks
Mark
Title: Re: printing photo backdrops
Post by: neile on September 25, 2011, 03:21:40 pm
For cheap canvas try LexJet, they have a wide variety of options and likely a very inexpensive version.

Nel
Title: Re: printing photo backdrops
Post by: Ken Doo on September 26, 2011, 06:09:52 pm
Another inexpensive canvas option is Breathing Color's 800M.

ken
Title: Re: printing photo backdrops
Post by: davidh202 on September 26, 2011, 07:25:10 pm
First off what are you shooting and how often will you be handling it?
 A  44" wide backdrop is really only useful for table top items or close head and shoulder portraits.  
I've been shooting orchids with 40" wide black felt as a backdrop and I sometimes wish I had more width.

David  


 
Title: Re: printing photo backdrops
Post by: Ken Doo on September 26, 2011, 09:15:59 pm
Not as nice as a high quality seamless muslin/canvas backdrop-----but combine three 44" width canvas strips with banner tape and you now have ten feet of width.   :)
Title: Re: printing photo backdrops
Post by: davidh202 on September 26, 2011, 11:15:19 pm
Yes, but that would create visible seams, and if the intent is to blur out the backdrop so they wont show then what is the point of printing a texture that will essentially be lost.
Much eaisier and cheaper to by backdrop paper or muslin and just splatter paint it.
I'd still like to know the intended use.