Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: dgberg on September 21, 2011, 12:47:30 pm

Title: Nikons new J1 and V1 camera and lens. Cmon Nikon you have got to be kidding!
Post by: dgberg on September 21, 2011, 12:47:30 pm
The new technology is refreshing,but!
All this time and this is what we get. Another glorified point and shoot and for what market.
A backup camera requiring its own lens system?
I am invested very deeply in the Nikon lens and accessory system and will hang on until the D4,D4x show their face.
This pushes me another step closer to a Pentax 645D.

Title: Re: Nikons new J1 and V1 camera and lens. Cmon Nikon you have got to be kidding!
Post by: ckimmerle on September 21, 2011, 01:13:42 pm
Not sure why you're so disappointed. It only makes business sense for Nikon, or any camera manufacturer, to put priority on consumer-level cameras as the potential market, hence profits, is very large. The top end cameras are nice, but their market is extremely limited to doctors, lawyers, dentists, or the handful of working pros who need the benefits and can afford an $8000 price tag. Thus there's not much profit to be made.

Title: Re: Nikons new J1 and V1 camera and lens. Cmon Nikon you have got to be kidding!
Post by: RSL on September 21, 2011, 03:33:36 pm
I'm with you, Dan. Since I've been a Nikon guy for decades I was hoping for an ideal street camera to take the place of my Olympus E-P1, that I've jury-rigged with a 50mm equivalent lens and a 50mm Leica bright-line external finder. But after seeing what Nikon's done I guess I'll go ahead and buy the new 25mm (50mm equivalent) micro four thirds Leica Summilux for my E-P1. It's pretty obvious that for mirrorless, micro four thirds is the wave of the future, and the Leica lens can move from camera to camera, just as my Nikon SLR lenses have done.

Nikon really blew it this time. Chuck's right that point-and-shoots are Nikon's bread and butter, but I think everybody was expecting a first-class mirrorless.
Title: Re: Nikons new J1 and V1 camera and lens. Cmon Nikon you have got to be kidding!
Post by: feppe on September 21, 2011, 04:53:00 pm
Not to mention the unfortunate naming for the V1 (http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraft/V1/IMAGES/V1-Flying-Bomb-Title.jpg).
Title: Re: Nikons new J1 and V1 camera and lens. Cmon Nikon you have got to be kidding!
Post by: dgberg on September 21, 2011, 08:11:15 pm
Not to mention the unfortunate naming for the V1 (http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraft/V1/IMAGES/V1-Flying-Bomb-Title.jpg).

Wasn't that a failure,crash and burn?
Title: Re: Nikons new J1 and V1 camera and lens. Cmon Nikon you have got to be kidding!
Post by: feppe on September 21, 2011, 08:13:57 pm
Wasn't that a failure,crash and burn?

Now I see the foresight in the naming :)
Title: Re: Nikons new J1 and V1 camera and lens. Cmon Nikon you have got to be kidding!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 21, 2011, 08:36:55 pm
It has the worst designed camera logo I've seen in a long time, especially the separate "1".

Besides, sensor smaller than 4/3!? And it is not just about image quality, assuming that Nikon miraculously managed to get better quality than from larger sensors, it is also about greater depth of field (i.e., conversely, the lack of shallow dof). I see it more as a competitor to p&s, than a "serious" camera.

Oh, and speaking of design... especially V1, and especially the viewfinder part (as seen from the front), has all the beauty and elegance of, say, Soviet industrial design. Lomo, anyone?

Title: Re: Nikons new J1 and V1 camera and lens. Cmon Nikon you have got to be kidding!
Post by: RFPhotography on September 23, 2011, 04:18:05 pm
Agreed, Dan.  I said in another place yesterday that as a Nikon user, I just have to bow my head in shame. 
Title: Re: Nikons new J1 and V1 camera and lens. Cmon Nikon you have got to be kidding!
Post by: fotometria gr on October 07, 2011, 08:55:17 pm
The new technology is refreshing,but!
All this time and this is what we get. Another glorified point and shoot and for what market.
A backup camera requiring its own lens system?
I am invested very deeply in the Nikon lens and accessory system and will hang on until the D4,D4x show their face.
This pushes me another step closer to a Pentax 645D.


There is cameras for pros,  for enthusiasts, for equipment junkies, for consumers, even for my 84yrs mom..., the only common thing between them is that they are all called cameras. Cheers, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr
Title: Re: Nikons new J1 and V1 camera and lens. Cmon Nikon you have got to be kidding!
Post by: dgberg on October 11, 2011, 06:08:18 am

In fairness just because it was not what I wanted out of Nikon at this stage, does not make it a bad camera.