Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Hening Bettermann on September 18, 2011, 04:24:58 pm

Title: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
Post by: Hening Bettermann on September 18, 2011, 04:24:58 pm
Hi
is there any exposure stacking program that will at the same time handle moving foliage and the like?  Mac preferred.
I just tried the recent update to PhotoAcute and find artifacts even on a tree trunk which had certainly not moved…
Hening
Title: Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
Post by: David Eichler on September 19, 2011, 12:55:15 pm
Hi
is there any exposure stacking program that will at the same time handle moving foliage and the like?  Mac preferred.
I just tried the recent update to PhotoAcute and find artifacts even on a tree trunk which had certainly not moved…
Hening


Not just an issue with exposure stacking. It will happen whenever you are merging multiple exposures into one image. I wonder if you can do exposure stacking with Photomatix? It has an anti-ghosting feature, although, in my opinion, it does not work well enough for high-quality architectural (with foliage) and landscape subjects.
Title: Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
Post by: Hening Bettermann on September 19, 2011, 01:07:54 pm
Hi David,
thank you for the hint, I need to try Photomatix then.
Hening.
Title: Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
Post by: wolfnowl on September 19, 2011, 04:19:55 pm
I've found Autopano Pro to have excellent capabilities in that regard.  In CS5 there's also an option to pick one of the stacked images to use as a reference for moving objects between frames.

Mike.
Title: Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
Post by: Hening Bettermann on September 19, 2011, 05:31:28 pm
Thank you Mike, I'll have to look into this.
-David, in a short test of 1 image with auto-de-ghosting, the stack in Photomatix had the same ghost branch as in ImageFuser. So like you, I found it not quite satisfactory.
Title: Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
Post by: wolfnowl on September 19, 2011, 07:27:28 pm
Hening:  This will give you some idea of what Autopano Pro can do: http://www.wolfnowl.com/2010/12/photographing-moving-water/

Mike.
Title: Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
Post by: Hening Bettermann on September 20, 2011, 01:58:20 pm
Thank you Mike,

that is indeed impressive. I had earlier checked APP, but was led to believe that it is designed to make panos, as the name suggests, but not merges of frames with near-identical contents. Upon your recommendation, I'll have a second look at it.

My favorite of your images is #3 - "even" if that is AVOIDING the virtues of APP.

Good light! - Hening.