Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: marcmccalmont on September 18, 2011, 02:41:59 am
-
I just returned from 2 days in Volcanoes National Park (Hawaii) as a short trip to get to know my WRS, Rodenstock HR lenses and IQ180.
This was my first time out with this set up and the detail/resolution and colors are amazing. I was having second thoughts about using a technical camera vs the DF
But the 70mm HR is soooo resolving I'm never going back!
Marc
-
Marc please post some examples for us to appreciate.
-
Yeah, photos or it never happened
-
> But the 70mm HR is soooo resolving I'm never going back!
That's a great news!
But how many shots did you lose due to guess exposure (sunny rule?) and quick light changing? Thanks!
-
But how many shots did you lose due to guess exposure (sunny rule?) and quick light changing? Thanks!
Imagine, some people shoot with film. No polaroids. No light meters. Film!
-
And if you can't figure out how to do it without them, you could even use a light meter.
-
> But the 70mm HR is soooo resolving I'm never going back!
That's a great news!
But how many shots did you lose due to guess exposure (sunny rule?) and quick light changing? Thanks!
I used live view for composition and guessed at exposure and focusing, in the end it was easier than I thought because of the focus mask and histogram
In the end by the 3rd shot I had nailed it
Marc
-
Yeah, photos or it never happened
Give me a little time Ill convert some to Jpegs with some 100% crops
Marc
-
Yeah, photos or it never happened
-
Yeah, photos or it never happened
PS: All of these images were taken mid day I was trying to get familiar with the camera not capture stunning images with great light
this one was hand held using sensor plus
-
Marc please post some examples for us to appreciate.
-
Marc thanks for uploading the images, the tonal range is very good and the resolution to boot, so I wish you many years of contentment knowing your system is on the ball.
-
How much did you need to rely on the focus mask for focusing? This is my biggest concern about a tech camera, which I am tempted to. I don't expect to put out the funds for an IQ series, so would need to rely on other focus methods. Were your shots at or near enough to infinity that, with a mid-range f-stop, you essentially wouldn't need to worry about focus without the focus mask to confirm? How does this work out for you and others out there using tech cameras?
-
Marc, BTW enjoyed seeing your shots. Thanks for posting. The composition with the bridges was elegant. If we could just get those *** cars out of the way! Thanks again, --Barbara
-
How much did you need to rely on the focus mask for focusing? This is my biggest concern about a tech camera, which I am tempted to. I don't expect to put out the funds for an IQ series, so would need to rely on other focus methods. Were your shots at or near enough to infinity that, with a mid-range f-stop, you essentially wouldn't need to worry about focus without the focus mask to confirm? How does this work out for you and others out there using tech cameras?
Actually I was surprised just set to infinity and shoot! Actually the lenses/WRS were mounted and calibrated by Cambo, then I used f8 for maximum sharpness (the HRs are optimized for around f8) or f16 for depth of field. So for landscape work it turned out to be a no brainer. For the tree I set f8 and backed it off a bit from infinity and after the shot the tree was full of the green focus mask blinkies. Much easier than I thought it was going to be.
Marc
-
Ki ni naru ki!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBC6THlb7vk&feature=related
Beautiful tree but is there a little flare or are my glasses dirty ...?
-
Isn't it interesting how we pick up composition with peripheral vision! I was just driving by and caught the tree/bridge out the corner of my eye.
Marc
-
Actually I was surprised just set to infinity and shoot! Actually the lenses/WRS were mounted and calibrated by Cambo, then I used f8 for maximum sharpness (the HRs are optimized for around f8) or f16 for depth of field. So for landscape work it turned out to be a no brainer. For the tree I set f8 and backed it off a bit from infinity and after the shot the tree was full of the green focus mask blinkies. Much easier than I thought it was going to be.
Marc
I think all you need is a laser range finder like what shooters use, some are under $300 now
Marc
-
4 shot pano of the Caldera using PTGui
-
Marc, thanks for the response on the focusing. That's encouraging!