Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: graphius on September 16, 2011, 09:26:50 pm
-
I saw this vase full of lilies at a friends place, so while she made lunch, I tried to capture something. Unfortunately no tripod, but that forced me to compose with a shallow depth of focus.
Honestly I am not quite sure about it. Any opinions?
(http://alanklughammer.com/portfolio/d/6023-4/12092011-8629.jpg)
http://alanklughammer.com/info/v/Art/misc/12092011-8629.jpg.html (http://alanklughammer.com/info/v/Art/misc/12092011-8629.jpg.html)
-
Hi Alan, my first thought was that you framed this sort of "inbetween." Not close enough or far enough from the subject- which I take it is the interesting vase. For me it would work if framed tighter, including only the lower half of the current picture.
Hope the lunch was good :)
-
I do have versions further away, and some closer. I felt the closer versions were a bit too abstract and didn't tell the whole story. The further images confused the image and pulled away from the vase to give more emphasis on the lilies rather than the vase.
I may have to revisit these to see what I can get...
-
I would have pulled back to show the flowers in the vase. As it is now you see the stems refracted inside the vase but since you've cropped off the flowers themselves they're an incongruity in the shot. For the stems to make visual sense we need to see the rest of it.