Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: tsjanik on September 13, 2011, 09:54:46 pm

Title: Black Krim Tomato
Post by: tsjanik on September 13, 2011, 09:54:46 pm
Pentax K-5 with 1960s, 8-element,  f/1.4 Super Takumar.  Vintage tomato and lens. First is the Halloween version
Title: Re: Black Krim Tomato
Post by: francois on September 14, 2011, 07:59:12 am
I like the metallic look of these two photographs. Looks like old glass in can still gives us something valuable today!
Title: Re: Black Krim Tomato
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 14, 2011, 10:15:02 am
The halloween face is delightful.
Title: Re: Black Krim Tomato
Post by: tsjanik on September 14, 2011, 04:32:40 pm
Thank you both.  I really enjoy the rendering of this lens when used wide open.  It's old, manual focus and contains radioactive thorium, but it has a really nice glow. 
Tom
Another example:
Title: Re: Black Krim Tomato
Post by: popnfresh on September 14, 2011, 06:14:09 pm
The flower picture works better for me than either of the two tomato pictures. The flower pops out of the background, the tomatoes recede into theirs. The first tomato shot is soft focus and doesn't work that well with a background color that's near to that of the tomato itself. The selective focus employed in the second tomato shot makes it more appealing, but I think it's used in the flower shot to better effect.
Title: Re: Black Krim Tomato
Post by: tsjanik on September 15, 2011, 05:34:24 pm
The flower picture works better for me than either of the two tomato pictures. The flower pops out of the background, the tomatoes recede into theirs. ..................

Thanks for the constructive comments.  I was not entirely pleased with the tomato shots, but not sure why.  I'll try your suggestions.
Title: Re: Black Krim Tomato
Post by: popnfresh on September 15, 2011, 07:48:20 pm
Thanks for the constructive comments.  I was not entirely pleased with the tomato shots, but not sure why.  I'll try your suggestions.

Also, I'm not crazy about how the tomatoes are lit. It doesn't flatter their shiny skin. The lighting is more appropriate in the flower shot.
Title: Re: Black Krim Tomato
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 15, 2011, 07:53:36 pm
... It's old, manual focus and contains radioactive thorium, but it has a really nice glow...

No wonder ;)
Title: Re: Black Krim Tomato
Post by: tsjanik on September 15, 2011, 10:21:57 pm
No wonder ;)

I was wondering if anyone would catch that :D