Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: dondi on September 12, 2011, 04:47:16 am
-
Hi all, was wondering if anybody would happen to have some sample unedited scans of slide film created with the epson v700?
I would like to know if the image scans from the v700 are closer to the originals than the plustek. I am failing to grasp why they should be so different to what is seen over a lightbox.
I have a plustek scanner, along with wolf faust targets. Have found that the provia 400x target tends to create scans that are a little on the blue side in comparison to how my photos appear over a lightbox. Velvia is not too bad with the velvia target.
-
Is you monitor calibrated? Are you viewing in a colour-aware app?
-
It is unclear from your post - Did you create a profile using the target or are you just scanning the targets without profiling the film first?
Doug
-
Hi Farmer, I am using a calibrated monitor and viewing in photoshop, this allows me to apply my profile and convert to a argb or srgb.
Hi Doug, I have profiled the film. I then apply the icc in cs5 and then convert to argb.
The issue is that I am not particularly happy with the outcome (as I said, tends to be too blue) and was wondering if others were undertaking such steps with their scans or whether they were happy with the outcome out of the box (scan).
-
I've had good success with the Wolf Faust IT8 targets. I profile for each emulsion that I scan, with the matching Faust target, and the colour balance is generally OK. I have not used the Epson scanner - I use a Nikon 5000ED. A lot of my slides are on the blue side, as they're taken at high altitude, so my post-processing workflow often includes a colour temperature conversion.
If you are getting a consistent colour cast, I wonder if there is a second colour profile sneaking into your workflow somewhere? Or perhaps there is some non-linearity in the Epson's colour response that's giving you a colour cast?
-
Note the OP is not using an Epson, but a Plustek.
I think we need more info on the full workflow to see if there's any issue there.