Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: pikeys on September 11, 2011, 05:02:54 pm

Title: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: pikeys on September 11, 2011, 05:02:54 pm
 I posted this in the printer forum in error...Sorry.
Let me try it here:
  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=57710.0

Thanks,
Mike
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on September 12, 2011, 03:43:37 am
The new Munki is a display colorimeter only and not a replacement for the old Munki spectrometer that could do more. For monitors the new colorimeter will be better considering comments by some experienced users.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm


Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: Ellis Vener on September 12, 2011, 08:48:39 am
It does a bit more than be just a display colorimeter but  Ernst nailed the primary distinction.
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: howardm on September 12, 2011, 09:04:54 am
unfortunately, XRite has the WORST and most confusing product naming convention humanly possible.  Their entire marketing dept needs to be sacked.

The CM Display is their new low end (like the old LT) colorimeter solution while the CM Photo is the original spectrophotometer display and print profile solution
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: Ellis Vener on September 12, 2011, 09:27:54 am
The CM Display is their new low end (like the old LT) colorimeter solution

It is a but more powerful and accurate than that fortunately, but unfortunately many of its important tools are hidden in the Preferences shed.
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: digitaldog on September 12, 2011, 10:40:30 am
ColorMunki, like i1Pro is a marketing name that can point to several products. The confusion may be that initially there was only a single ColorMunki product. A Spectrophotometer. There have been a number of i1Pro products (i0, i1Pro, etc).

The ColorMunki Display and the i1Pro Display appear virtually identical other than a different paint job. Both are Colorimeters. The i1Pro is a faster device with much superior software to drive it. The ColorMunki Display has less options in how you can set calibration and is slower in taking its readings (and cost less).

The original ColorMunki (Spectrophotometer) and the new ColorMunki Display are completely different instruments for different tasks at different price points.
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: digitaldog on September 12, 2011, 10:42:05 am
unfortunately, XRite has the WORST and most confusing product naming convention humanly possible. 

ColorMunki: Consumer/Prosumer market.
I1Pro: Pro Market.

You want confusing names, look at the auto industry.
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: pikeys on September 12, 2011, 02:22:18 pm
   So,basically ,what all of you are saying is that,if I want only a device to calibrate my monitor,I should go with the I1Display Pro?..more accurate,better software??
I have the Colormunki already,and rarely do I build paper profile,Eric Chan does that for me,and I think his results are excellent.

Thanks for all your replies,
Mike
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: digitaldog on September 12, 2011, 02:24:17 pm
   So,basically ,what all of you are saying is that,if I want only a device to calibrate my monitor,I should go with the I1Display Pro?..more accurate,better software??
I have the Colormunki already,and rarely do I build paper profile,Eric Chan does that for me,and I think his results are excellent.

I would not say more accurate. Faster, better (more functionality) for the software. But if you have a ColorMunki Spectrophotometer, you could just use that on the display. But yes, if you have money to burn and want a colorimeter, I’d suggest the i1Pro Display.
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: pikeys on September 12, 2011, 06:02:42 pm
Andrew ,
Thanks for your reply..

No,I don't have money to burn....
Just thought I'd see a major difference in accuracy...??
I have an old {7 years old} Nec multisync 20wmgx2,and its beginning to show signs of wear{ burn marks} ,in the upper right hand corner.
Maybe I'll put my burning money toward  a new monitor....

Any suggestions??

Mike
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: digitaldog on September 12, 2011, 06:51:25 pm
Maybe I'll put my burning money toward  a new monitor....

Any suggestions??

That’s money far better spent. And your ColorMunki will drive an NEC SpectraView system with their software quite nicely. How about a PA271W?
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: pikeys on September 13, 2011, 08:40:12 am
Andrew,
Boy ,you don't fool around,do you?

  Here is one I have my eye on:
   http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612998-REG/NEC_P221W_BK_SV_MultiSync_P221W_BK_22_Widescreen.html

Come with the SpectraView software also.

Is there much of a difference between the PA Series, and the P Series  monitors??

Thanks,
Mike




Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: digitaldog on September 13, 2011, 10:19:58 am
Yes there is a difference (I’m sure you saw the cost). The PA is the newest, best in line. The P221W is the entry level product. For the money, the P221W is a great buy but you are not getting an IPS panel, the newer technology and use of MultiProfiler software etc. IOW, one cost more and does more and is better but the entry level unit will be a better move than getting a non SpectraView “smart monitor” that is close to its price point, then using some 3rd party software and instrument for calibration.
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: pikeys on September 13, 2011, 10:42:56 am
Andrew,again,thanks for your help with this..

I definetly want an IPS panel,so,I'm now have this on a tentative order directly with NEC..The software will be a separate purchase,and ,I will use the ColoMunki calibrator;

  http://www.necdisplay.com/p/pa231w-bk

I think this will be ok..

If you could look at the above and give me your take on,it.it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: digitaldog on September 13, 2011, 10:49:26 am
You can get the SpectraView software for $89 (US) and it supports your ColorMunki. OR you can download MultiProfiler for free and use that without an instrument.
Title: Re: The New Colormunki...??
Post by: pikeys on September 14, 2011, 06:52:47 pm
Neil,
Thanks for your reply..
Which one do you recommend I use??

I should have the new monitor  tomorrow..?

Thanks,
Mike