Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: tsjanik on September 11, 2011, 03:26:01 pm

Title: Ilford Gold Silk profiles for Epson 4900
Post by: tsjanik on September 11, 2011, 03:26:01 pm
I've checked the Ilford site for profiles for the Epson x900 printers and can't find one for Gold Silk. Am I just looking in the wrong place?
Thanks for any tips.
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Silk profiles for Epson 4900
Post by: neile on September 11, 2011, 03:33:35 pm
I see it there. Select:

Galerie
Epson
Stylus Pro 4900
Gold Fibre Silk Sheets

Neil
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Silk profiles for Epson 4900
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on September 11, 2011, 03:57:08 pm
A cautionary note here.  The Ilford supplied profiles may not be very good (disclosure, I make my own profiles and just check out the mfr's to see how they perform).  Certainly the ones for the 3880 were quite poor and unusable.  I'll let the 4900 owners weigh in with their experience.
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Silk profiles for Epson 4900
Post by: tsjanik on September 11, 2011, 10:11:58 pm
Thanks Neil, found it.
Alan, I'll see how they do; they must certainly be better than no profile at all :)
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Silk profiles for Epson 4900
Post by: neile on September 12, 2011, 01:11:28 am
they must certainly be better than no profile at all :)

Not necessarily :D

Neil
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Silk profiles for Epson 4900
Post by: Jan Morales on September 12, 2011, 11:04:18 am
I had been using the canned profile from Ilford for Gold Fibre Silk on my Canon Pro9500 and was finding the prints too dark. Adjusting my monitor calibration and brightness did not help. When I used my ColorMunki Photo to create a custom profile, my prints began looking correct. The canned Ilford profile was very inaccurate for my printer.

I have an Epson 4900 on order and when I have it set up I plan to create a custom profile for it as well. I'm not bothering with the canned profile from Ilford.

I don't know if the canned profile is better than no profile at all, but getting a custom profile is well worth the investment in my opinion, especially considering how much one invests in the printer, ink, and paper, not to mention creating the image in the first place!
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Silk profiles for Epson 4900
Post by: JohnBrew on September 12, 2011, 11:54:20 am
Don't know if Eric Chan has a profile for the 4900 or not, but his GFS profile for the 3880 is really terrific for bw.
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Silk profiles for Epson 4900
Post by: K.C. on September 13, 2011, 10:12:14 pm
Don't know if Eric Chan has a profile for the 4900 or not, but his GFS profile for the 3880 is really terrific for bw.

It doesn't appear that Eric is using a 4900.

With all the new users out there we should have just each pitched in a few bucks and bought him one. The investment would have been worthwhile considering the tremendous resource his is.