Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Ernie on September 06, 2011, 03:45:17 pm
-
I have just converted to and Epson 4900 from a 3800 and find that especially dark colours like dark reds and blues are no where near what I see on my monitor (Eizo CG241W profiled with i1Profiler and i1Pro Spectro). A friend using the same equipment has the same problem. Any suggestions??
-
What's your printing workflow?
-
Same workflow I had for the 3800.
Proof setup shows an acceptable image - Gamut shows minor problems
but what I did notice is that when I attempt to print these saturated images the thumbnail that pops up when I activate "print" in CS5 looks totally different than the actual image being displayed on the same screen.
My Eizo is connected to a laptop but all images are being displayed on the Eizo
Thanks for your interest
-
Ernie - what we actually need is step by step your workflow, rather than just saying it hasn't changed. This is the only way to pick up if there's some awry there.
Which apps, drivers, settings, etc.
-
Image made with Nikon D2x
RAW file processed with Bridge ACR with minimal adjustments
Photshop CS5 used to make a composite of 2 images
Flattened - sharpened using Charlie Cramer's sharpening action (picked up from Charlie Cramer and Bill Atkinson when I took a printing course from them)
Out of Gamut colors checked - minimal
Soft proofed using profile for the paper in the printer
CS5 print command - leading to thumbnail which does not match the original image.
Print properties - no color adjustments Photoshop manages colour Proper paper profile
Print matches thumbnail not the image
-
If the print matches the preview in CS5 then the issue seems not to be with the printer or the printer profile.
What colour spaces are you working in and displaying? What operating system?
-
I am using ProPhoto RGB Windows 7 (64bit).
What I find really odd is that the image shown in the Print dialogue (Photoshop manages colours - Printer Profile etc )
does not match the original image even when displayed on the same monitor.
I am beginning to suspect that the video card is somehow using different settings when displaying the two images.
Note I am using an Eizo monitor attached to a laptop using an NVIDIA Quadro 2000M card.
Thanks
-
I have just isolated the problem to the fact that I am using a second monitor. On two different systems the image and the thumbnail in the print dialogue box are different from each other on the second monitor. The images match on the main monitor.
Both monitors are calibrated Eizo ColorEdge.
By simply sliding the two images from one monitor to the other the print dialogue box no longer matches the print.
Both video cards are Nvidia both systems running CS5