Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on September 04, 2011, 06:26:02 pm

Title: it's better round the bend...
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 04, 2011, 06:26:02 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: it's better round the bend...
Post by: c_soars on September 04, 2011, 07:09:57 pm
The composition and warm/cold contrast pique some curiosity, but it comes off a bit sterile & empty. Think some softer light & modelling would help hold the viewer's attention longer.
Title: Re: it's better round the bend...
Post by: RSL on September 04, 2011, 09:12:04 pm
Jeremy, It's not a bad shot but I can't believe the building on the right is that blue. Have you looked at it in B&W?
Title: Re: it's better round the bend...
Post by: wolfnowl on September 05, 2011, 03:28:05 am
I like the question of the pathway around the corner and the contrast between the warmth of that path vs. the dark wall on the right.  However... My eye keeps going back to that sliver of wall on the right edge, which seems redundant and out of place to me.  Since Russ is strolling around I won't mention the dreaded 'c' word... I'll merely suggest reshooting it a couple of degrees to the left!

Love,
Mike.
Title: Re: it's better round the bend...
Post by: stamper on September 05, 2011, 04:00:54 am
What direction is the light coming from? I would expect to see a shadow or two but there aren't any. Have you masked two images together? The left and right parts don't seem to match visually. :-\
Title: Re: it's better round the bend...
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 05, 2011, 07:23:13 am
Someone just disappearing or appearing around the corner of the alley in the centre (or a cyclist perhaps) or even a shadow of someone, would have really set this image off I believe. If you were able to wait for that moment to arrive of course.

I like the tonalities and the layout of the image, but for me, a person or a shadow, would have really lifted it to a whole new level.

Dave (UK)
Title: Re: it's better round the bend...
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 05, 2011, 01:52:43 pm
Russ: fair enough - I think I overdid the blue slider when I still had sky visible, before I (oh dear) cropped it off. I have tried it in b&w (I nearly always do) but what I was trying to capture was warm light round the bend in contrast to the cold walls nearby and it just doesn't work.

Stamper: the light is above, ahead to the right. This is a single shot, not a composite - not even a bracketed fusion. All I've done is to remove a couple of rather ugly floodlights. It was the disconnect between the two halves that appealed to me.

Dave: you're right but the area is out of bounds. I was shooting through a metal grille, fortunately coarse enough to let me stick the lens through.

How about this version? I've tried selective desaturation: it seems to work for Michael!

Jeremy
Title: Re: it's better round the bend...
Post by: RSL on September 05, 2011, 02:02:56 pm
Jeremy, Yes! Much better. Selective desaturation is a very useful tool.
Title: Re: it's better round the bend...
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 05, 2011, 08:05:04 pm
Jeremy, Yes! Much better. Selective desaturation is a very useful tool.
One might almost call it "saturation cropping."   :D

I like the new version. The stone blocks of the building to the right look like stone now, and that accentuates the warmth of the sunlight on the wall to the left.

Eric
Title: Re: it's better round the bend...
Post by: Justan on September 06, 2011, 11:46:33 am
This is a kind of cool (as in good) image. The right building almost appears to be super-imposed into the space. It’s kind of disturbing in a way and reminiscent of something from a dream with objects that clearly belong together but do not appear to belong together.

I don’t know if it would work out okay but one thing to play with (if you haven’t already) is to put a faint, colored gradient on the structure on the right, using a shade of color from one of the brick walls on the left or center.
Title: Re: it's better round the bend...
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on September 06, 2011, 05:25:49 pm
I love the detail in the photo Jeremy. It makes one want to look at every nook and cranny of the structures. Justan gave an apt comment on the composition which is "cool."