Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on September 04, 2011, 04:37:39 pm
-
My preferred workflow thus far has been ACR/Bridge and then export to Photoshop. I am currently taking a look at Lightroom, and did not see any option for "sharpening in preview only" like the one offered in ACR/Bridge. I can work around it by switching off the Detail panel just before exporting to CS5, but still is there an option switch someplace?
-
I believe the default is already zero sharpening, but just in case.
Set the sharpening slider in the detail panel to zero, press alt/opt, the reset button at the lower right will switch to set default, click the "set default" button.
Now the default is no sharpening at all, unless you sharpen.
Rich
-
I believe the default is already zero sharpening, but just in case.
Set the sharpening slider in the detail panel to zero, press alt/opt, the reset button at the lower right will switch to set default, click the "set default" button.
Now the default is no sharpening at all, unless you sharpen.
Rich
This doesn't address my issue. I want the sharpening settings to be applied but only to the preview. When I export the image to CS5 I do not want the sharpening to come with it.
-
No option or switch.
Rich
-
Rajun,
Trying to wrap my head around this one.
Maybe sharpen one image to taste then sync all.
Then before you send the image to photoshop for more work ,reset it to get rid of the sharpening?
But that reset will also get rid of anything else you have done to that point.
Maybe explain more of the why and I might understand.
-
In lightroom in the develop module you only set "capture sharpening"
Output sharpening is only applied in the export dialog or print module, and depends on export/print size and medium. As far as I know you cannot preview it.
-
In lightroom in the develop module you only set "capture sharpening"
But when I do Cmd-E and export the image to CS5, the file exported includes this capture sharpening. My issue is that I want to see sharpening applied only to the preview that I see on screen in Lightroom. This option is available in ACR/Bridge. Right now, as far as I can see, the only way to do this is to manually turn off the Detail panel just before export every single time.
-
Right now, as far as I can see, the only way to do this is to manually turn off the Detail panel just before export every single time.
Correct...but if you know how to capture sharpen in LR this isn't an issue...no, LR doesn't have the same options as ACR. So, your choice is either apply sharpening in LR or don't.
-
Correct...but if you know how to capture sharpen in LR this isn't an issue...no, LR doesn't have the same options as ACR. So, your choice is either apply sharpening in LR or don't.
My preference is to make some exposure adjustments in LR but to do capture sharpening in Topaz InFocus which is a deconvolution algorithm (I understand that pushing the Detail slider to the right also brings deconvolution to the fore in LR, but I am now used to my settings in Topaz).
-
Why not use Topaz as a LR plugiin? It is compatible with LR 2&3.
Rich
-
My preference is to make some exposure adjustments in LR but to do capture sharpening in Topaz InFocus which is a deconvolution algorithm (I understand that pushing the Detail slider to the right also brings deconvolution to the fore in LR, but I am now used to my settings in Topaz).
Well, that's your prerogative...but LR is designed for a sharpening and noise reduction workflow. If you don't use LR for sharpening in the Detail panel it becomes more difficult to use the output sharpening in export and the Print module. My advice is to do as much as possible inside of LR proper and only go out for those things LR can't do such as substantial retouching and masking.
-
Why not use Topaz as a LR plugiin? It is compatible with LR 2&3.
Rich
In Lightroom, Topaz saves the files in TIF format not as PSD. I think I will give the new workflow a shot as Schewe has suggested.