Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: John E on August 31, 2011, 04:04:52 pm

Title: Vivian Maier website
Post by: John E on August 31, 2011, 04:04:52 pm
I know this photographer has been discussed a bit on this site previously, but today I ran across a website dedicated solely to her work, which was just discovered in 2007. Fascinating stuff, and I think worth at least a peek.

John

http://www.vivianmaier.com/
Title: Re: Vivian Maier website
Post by: francois on September 01, 2011, 03:14:19 am
John, thanks for the link. Vivian Maier's work is indeed very interesting.
Title: Re: Vivian Maier website
Post by: John E on September 01, 2011, 08:49:29 am
I find it a bit, well ... odd is as good a word as any, that the photos of this woman, who was apparently very private and did not share her 100,000 photos with anyone else, are now at the whim of someone else's decision regarding which ones deserve public display. Nevertheless, she had a wonderful eye for street photography, and I feel richer for having viewed some of her collection.

John
Title: Re: Vivian Maier website
Post by: RSL on September 01, 2011, 10:31:55 am
John, But what's "odd" about it? When you're gone you're gone and you've lost control over your work. At least this very talented lady left some splendid work for others to display. She truly understood what a camera's for.
Title: Re: Vivian Maier website
Post by: John E on September 01, 2011, 11:09:19 am
I agree, it's splendid work, Russ. It was just my visceral reaction to the display of items, including numerous self portraits, that she never felt compelled to show others during her life.

John
Title: Re: Vivian Maier website
Post by: PhillyPhotographer on September 01, 2011, 09:51:00 pm
Documentary trailer
http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2011/07/22/finding-vivian-maier-trailer/

Book
http://www.powerhousebooks.com/site/?p=7095

John Maloof has spent countless hours putting this together. It will take years before all the film is developed and the 100,000+ negatives scanned. This is an amazing undertaking and after having several online conversations with him I quickly donated money for the documentary.